Titebond shelf life

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baldhead

Established Member
Reaction score
I bought some Titebond Original Wood Glue off the internet, the seller claims it has a shelf life of 1 year, unfortunately the glue they sent was 1 year old (manufacture date is 28th January 2014), I have emailed the seller asking for a full refund (bought via ebay) has anyone experience of using this glue beyond its stated shelf life?

Baldhead

I haven't used Titebond but a quick google shows that it's just PVA; PVA has a real world shelf life of roughly forever and a day so I wouldn't be too concerned.

In my experience even truly ancient bottles of PVA which have been lying on the shelf with a poor/non-existant seal have loads of useful glue left under the surface skin which seems to work as well as any other fresh PVA.

Obviously glue manufacturers would have a vested interest in you throwing out half bottles of glue just because they're past their use by date, or am I just being cynical?

I use Titebond of various types all the time, you will have no issue with it provided it is kept at a fairly consistent temprature. I could be wrong, but I don't believe Titebond original is a PVA glue?

Bear in mind it is a water based product so dramatic changes in temp will affect it over a period of time. However, if your workshop is uninsulated keep it in a cabinet. That way it will literally last for years.

If the glue develops small pin head lumps it has been affected by adverse temprature conditions and should not be used. This happened to me once with a bottle left in a shed, lesson learned.

The other thing to be careful of is, if you are working on large projects with multiple joints then this glue is not for you as the open time of the glue is very short, just a few minutes. In this instance use PVA as it has a longer open time.

Good luck

Bluekingfisher":1oantdhn said:
The other thing to be careful of is, if you are working on large projects with multiple joints then this glue is not for you as the open time of the glue is very short, just a few minutes. In this instance use PVA as it has a longer open time.

Good luck

The warning's a good one, but personally for multiple joints I'll use Cascamite and then I can really spend the time needed to get the cramping and alignment spot on.

Titebond Original is a pure alpihatic and has Titebond say the shelflife is 2 years - it's not everlasting like a traditional PVA.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 7526,d.eXY

I have used aliphatics which have been 3 years old in high pressure environments and they have been fine, but also some that have failed - 1 year should be absolutely fine.

Aliphatics are ruined by repeated freezings - if it's been kept in an unheated shed, you may have issues at 1 year, but if it#s come from england it's probably OK.

Steve

Back