Titan vs Sip Planer Thicknesser

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Honestly buy the sip. As mentioned I had the Titan and I tried the fence mods and it was all just a pain. Whatever you save on buying the Titan I'll be spent in time and materials putting the fence right.

Petey83":14pqlo27 said:
Honestly buy the sip. As mentioned I had the Titan and I tried the fence mods and it was all just a pain. Whatever you save on buying the Titan I'll be spent in time and materials putting the fence right.
Is there much of a difference, save the fence?

Sent from my MI 3W using Tapatalk

Hi
I've had the Titan for about a year. The beds are reasonably flat (taper down about 10 thou in the last inch before the cutter on both beds but that may be intentional) although I know others have had problems. It makes a lot of noise but I tend to use it for very short periods intermittently. I couldn't grt it to plane square until I set both blades flat to the bed using a gauge and added a piece of 2X4 to the fence, now it works perfectly but I have to remove the fence to use as a thicknesser. For the price I can't complain, but obviously it not a high quality product. About the only spares I can find are blades, although I haven't needed anything else yet. Screwfix are great inside the warranty but I doubt there is any support after a year.
Paul

Well, having read plenty online (not just this forum) I finally went for the Titan as the only real difference between it and the SIP is the fence and I am sure I can sort that out without too much bother. Screwfix swung it a bit by sending me a £15.00 off voucher which brought the price down to £135.00. So with two years warranty that really can't be all that bad.

I only got it today so haven't tried it in anger yet although I did run up the motor and it wasn't as loud as I thought it was going to be. Granted, ear defenders are needed but it's quite tolerable and I won't be using it every day anyway.

I have a space under the bench where it will live, just have to find space for the stuff that's there now. :)

Incidentally, I mentioned that I have a friend who was think of buying one and he was well peed off when he heard that I had the voucher as he didn't get one. Screwfix said it was based on area but he only lives a few miles from me so wasn't impressed with that answer. I haven't seen him since he got it but no doubt will hear all about it at the turning club tonight.

I'll let you know how I get on when I've used it a bit.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":acpqhg75 said:
Well, having read plenty online (not just this forum) I finally went for the Titan as the only real difference between it and the SIP is the fence and I am sure I can sort that out without too much bother. Screwfix swung it a bit by sending me a £15.00 off voucher which brought the price down to £135.00. So with two years warranty that really can't be all that bad.

I only got it today so haven't tried it in anger yet although I did run up the motor and it wasn't as loud as I thought it was going to be. Granted, ear defenders are needed but it's quite tolerable and I won't be using it every day anyway.

I have a space under the bench where it will live, just have to find space for the stuff that's there now. :)

Incidentally, I mentioned that I have a friend who was think of buying one and he was well peed off when he heard that I had the voucher as he didn't get one. Screwfix said it was based on area but he only lives a few miles from me so wasn't impressed with that answer. I haven't seen him since he got it but no doubt will hear all about it at the turning club tonight.

I'll let you know how I get on when I've used it a bit.

regards

Brian

I'd be interested to know what you can do if the beds aren't level? From what I have read, there is nothing you can correct for it, which I find a little odd. Especially as the the charnwood ones (which look very similar) do have something you can tweak (or so I'm told by the charnwood engineer, not actually bought one yet)

transatlantic":1w4s8fh3 said:
I'd be interested to know what you can do if the beds aren't level? From what I have read, there is nothing you can correct for it, which I find a little odd. Especially as the the charnwood ones (which look very similar) do have something you can tweak (or so I'm told by the charnwood engineer, not actually bought one yet)

I'll let you know when I have had a chance to check it out more. If there is something wrong that's not adjustable or that I can't fix I will get Screwfix to replace it.

regards

Brian

brianhabby":1x3z2h4o said:
transatlantic":1x3z2h4o said:

I'll let you know when I have had a chance to check it out more. If there is something wrong that's not adjustable or that I can't fix I will get Screwfix to replace it.

regards

Brian

Thanks. It would be good to know, because even if it is parallel to begin with, that may not be true down the road, so an adjustment seems essential?

transatlantic":2y63msy2 said:
brianhabby":2y63msy2 said:
transatlantic":2y63msy2 said:

regards

Brian

Thanks. It would be good to know, because even if it is parallel to begin with, that may not be true down the road, so an adjustment seems essential?

Did you get a chance to experiment?

I have scheppach version and it's ok. Noisy but ok. You have to take it fairly slowly and you get a bit of snipe but for the cash it's reasonable and definitely better than no P/T.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiscoStu":2wasmx6z said:
I have scheppach version and it's ok. Noisy but ok. You have to take it fairly slowly and you get a bit of snipe but for the cash it's reasonable and definitely better than no P/T.

How do you adjust the beds for parallel?

transatlantic":2in3nzbx said:
DiscoStu":2in3nzbx said:

How do you adjust the beds for parallel?

If you want adjustability these sub 300 screamers are not for you. If you think you'll be at the machine with a dial indicator on the beds you need to pony up at least 500 and get the Metabo (or clones) that have a nice induction motor and more adjustablity.

No adjustability on the outfeed table on mine, and the adjustment on the infeed is provided by the depth of cut wheel plus an occasional sharp bang with the fist to whatever side of the table might be a little high. This is not a high precision tool, but it basically does the job.

I have an Erbaur version of the same P/T and it works great BUT yes its noisy but I live out in the wilds with no neighbours for miles plus I can wear ear defenders so that's no problem, I don't make furniture etc and just use it for thicknessing wood for my Intarsias. I recently let a guy from a local village use it after his Makita that cost nearly 4 times as much as mine ground to a halt and he was surprised how well it worked but still had to say its not a proper one lol wait until he wants to borrow it again :cool:
the fence is flimsy but can be sorted or even replaced (the guy on Youtube does a good mod for these type of P/T)
For the money I paid for it i'd say it was a bargain

Brian

transatlantic":2g5weypl said:
Did you get a chance to experiment?
Sorry, I did have a look but forgort to get back on the forum, just been so busy.

As others have said, there does not seem to be any adjustment for parallel on the tables although they appear to be good at the moment. Even without the adjustment, I still think it is good value. I don't have either the space or the money for a 260 anyway.

regards

Brian

Back