Tiny Workshop Questions

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craigus

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

I'm in a rented cottage (I'm friends with the landlord which helps) and have a small outbuilding/shed. Typical old outhouse really, brick with an uninsulated sloping roof, brick floor and a flimsy door. Lots of cobwebs to clear out. It's about 2.5m x 2.0 m internally. I'm slowly turning it into a small workshop, being rented I want to spend as little as possible on things I can't take with me when we do move, but I have a few questions.

Heating wise for these cold winter months, what is the fire risk if I just use a small oil powered radiator heater thingy in such a small space?

The landlord mentioned that he would like to get power out there and some lighting which would obviously be great as at the moment I'm using extension cables from the house. Lighting wise I'm leave the door open and using a moveable halogen site light. Are these things dodgy with sawdust around?

I'll eventually make a proper workbench with vice etc but I'm having to make best use of a small space. Any other tips for working in a small workshop?

Sorry for the rather broad and rambling thread.

Those halogen site lights pump out a lot of heat (and use a lot of electricity). I don't think I'd bother with anything else if I had to leave the door open.

If you are using a extension lead then can always just buy a Flourescent/Batten strip light, mount to a beam and just run it with a standard plug on the end.

I have done this with 2 in tandem, just wire them to a junction box then off to a standard plug.

Do I need to worry about the amount of dust I create with one of the oil filled radiators?

The door is only open to let the daylight in, when it gets dark then I use the site light.

If the radiator gets covered in dust just brush or vacuum it off. I'd worry more about breathing in a lot of dust so wear a mask if you're sanding or cutting woods like MDF.

Regards Keith

The oil filled radiators can be very expensive to run, we used one for while and our electricity bill almost doubled and to be honest I wouldn't say it heated up my garage very well.

Another option would be an electric fan heater. They heat up quickly and you can direct the heat to where you need it. I used this form of heating in my workshop for years with no problems and just vacuumed it clean on a regular basis.

Regards Keith

Craigus":t2mwkr9z said:
....Any other tips for working in a small workshop?.....
Make small things.
I'm always envious of jewellers etc who could make a living in a telephone box.
Turning doesn't need a lot of space.

Jacob":1sw6bg88 said:
Craigus":1sw6bg88 said:
Make small things.

I was about to suggest thinking very carefully about what you make. Whilst some thathes can take up a lot of room, a mini lathe might be an option- you could turn pens, boxes, small bowls, etc and have a bit of room for a grinder for sharpening. If you are not careful, then half of your time is going to be spent moving things in and out of your workshop, and a chance of rain may well stop play.

marcros":1jwodc6p said:
Jacob":1jwodc6p said:
Craigus":1jwodc6p said:
Make small things.

If you are not careful, then half of your time is going to be spent moving things in and out of your workshop, and a chance of rain may well stop play.

Ooooooh yes.

Back