Time to join in....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice piece,Shaun :D - can imagine you getting a few requests to make more for Christmas.Also,good choice with the coloured tea-light;think a white one would have been too bland against the maple.

Andrew

Neatly done Shaun, my only suggestion is that you further recess the centre base of the light holding recess so that the foil only contacts the wood around its last couple of millimeters of diameter, reducing further any heat transfer if the light is allowed to burn to an end in the foil.

But then again I have never checked it out, maybe I should do some experiments, is it better to have full contact of the foil and let the wood take care of the heat transfer or should the foil be insulated with an air gap?
Or is it me just being over cautious about wood finished with volatile products and fire in close proximity.

If using a forstener bit, I would be inclined to drill slightly smaller and clean up with a gouge and abrasive just to improve the internal finish and has been said remove the witness marks of the centre stub, but havinf said that the chance of anyone noticing or even appreciating the difference is minimal.

Thanks all,

I guess for an experiment it was ok but I don't think Forstner bits will be used much.

When I look at the finish on the recess and the light pocket it isn't great, and like Graham mentioned with a bit more turning practise it probably isn't the time saving I first thought.

Andrew, agree on the Tea light colour. I'm getting quite a collection of candles now but certainly the deeper red was a nice contrast to the maple.

Chas, I have seen similar items on sale but often wondered if it was 'safe' to use them. I'm going to measure the temperature of the bottom pocket for a full candle with a thermocouple and satisfy my curiosity. I'll post my findings.

Thanks,
Shaun

santiniuk":2p5nee49 said:
Chas, I have seen similar items on sale but often wondered if it was 'safe' to use them. I'm going to measure the temperature of the bottom pocket for a full candle with a thermocouple and satisfy my curiosity. I'll post my findings.
Thanks,
Shaun

That would be great, it would at least be something positive to refer to when pondering the risk factor.

A bit like putting timber lintels over open fires, been done for centuries and rarely caused a problem.

HI

I have been making and selling tealights for a few years now, I prefer to put glass holders in them but they are sometimes hard to get.

When I first made them I didn't use any inserts and was worried about them catching fire. I had a few in different woods burning all day and evening, changing candles as they burnt out. The wood barely got warm and was nowhere near hot enough to combust, even on one where the candle was a tight fit.

I have found that if you aren't using an insert, either glass or ceramic, it is best to have the candle a loose fit and in all cases make sure either the insert or the metal container of the tealight is just above the level of the wood.

If you are going to either give them away or sell them to cover yourself you need to put a warning on them. I checked with trading standards and they recommend a label on the bottom of the holder saying "burning candles must never be left unattended".

regards
john

John,

Some very good advice. Thanks.

At first I thought I should have made the light recess deeper but as you say it makes sense to have this proud of the wood.

I'll make sure to get some small labels on the base and advise any family members not to leave unattended.

Still curious on what the temperature are so will complete the experiment this week.

Cheers

Shaun

I have nade a few dozen tealights but don't use the aluminium ones that you have here. I look out for glass ones with candles in them at ound shops and boot sales. You can usually get them in boxes of 6 for apound in the shops and for a few pence at boot sales. Selling pont is that the glass inserts can be used again. Also less of a problem for heat transference. Only problem is that each batch is a different size so if you need to make a load in a rush it's a bit slower.

Pete

Back