Timber with rust preventing properties?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmac

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at making another tool box, as i'm hoping Santa is going to bless me with a load more tools. So the plan is to keep to a plain Jane MDF carcass but make some dovetailed draws on a timber running system. The idea being that the draws and running system are always kept but the MDF carcass can fluctuate as and when i increase my tools etc.
The long and short of it is, i'm wondering what timber, if any may help prevent rust in my pride and joys.(not sure whether you can make that plural, but it's like choosing which child you love more :D) I know traditionally draws are made from quarter oak coffin board, I think if all else fails that's what i will go for but just interested to see if any one has any little gems to share.
Thank's for persevering with me babel on and of course any incite is welcome. :D
Matt

My choice would certainly not be oak, because of the tannin content, which will stain with the slightest damp. Preference for good quality pine or if you are feeling flush, one of the "mahogan-ish" timbers.
Moore and Wright and other engineers toolchests are in one of the latter.

Back