Timber sources in Scotland?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gaz_XB9R

Established Member
Reaction score
Anybody know of good hardwood sources in Scotland?

I'm in the Aberdeenish area but have been known to travel.

Cheers,
Gaz

Scottish Hardwoods - http://www.scottish-hardwoods.com
They are up near Banff,and do native hardwoods (oak,sycamore,yew,elm,beech,ash,maple,holly,lime,cherry and chestnut)
I have bought turning blanks from their e-bay shop (so they do mail order as well),and was quite impressed with the quality and price.

Andrew

Hi Gaz,
Theres an organisation called Scottish Wood, based just outside Dunfermline who are well worth a trip to stock up. They are all about sustainable timber supplies and have a good range of kiln dried stuff for sale ( all sourced from a 50 mile radius of the mill). The guy who runs it (can't remember his name right now) is very knowledgable and helpful and happy for you just to poke around a bit. For one who is relatively inexperienced in pricing etc a particulary useful feature they have is all the boards are priced for you to see...i thought really useful.
PM if you need any more info.
Cheers,
Graham

Gaz, I get most of my timber from Scottish Hardwood (but NOT the pippy oak in my post elsewhere) and he always has some very good stock. It's like an Aladdin's Cave of hardwood.

The guys name is Paul, and as Andrew says he is near Bannf in a place called Gamrie, but can I suggest that you give him a ring (01261 851543) before you go, just to make sure he is there, because he's sometimes out on buying trips.

Have fun

Mike

Thanks folks,

I'm not set up for making bits of furniture yet as I've got a Sun Room to build then a shed to build to get rid of the junk in the garage before I kit it out as a workshop.

However I do have a couple of built in cabinets to build in the house and fancied doing something with contrasting woods. American black walnut and maple or cherry maybe.

Chris, thanks for the links I've saved them for future reference.

Gaz

Gaz
You can buy hardwood rough sawn from the build centre in Aberdeen (Causeway End), they don't have the ability to cut and plane the wood though. Usually a good stock of oak and beech - some iroko and many others but not may exotics.
For exotics - best go to scottish hardwoods.

Andy

Cheers Andy, Much appreciated I'm just down the road in Stonehaven so that would be a great starter for me.

Gaz

Back