Timber framed building

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphs14

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I need some advice please. I am planning to build a timber framed conservatory/sun lounge. Initially I was going to use Green Oak, but because of the way it twists and turns and being worried about the glass sealed units breaking, and of course the cost, I am considering building it from an alternative. I have recently installed some 7"x7" gateposts that were described as redwood. I realise that this is softwood, but I thought that 7"x7" corner posts and 7"x4" wall and roof plates, 4"x4" uprights would do the trick. I realise that they are not oak but properly treated do you think they would do the job? If not has anyone any other suggestions as to materials? It is to have a pitched tiled roof with Velux's in it so it needs to be quite chunky. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

I have recently done a similar job here at home.
I started by deciding the size conservatory I would like, bought 4 S/H windows for the front and 2 small for the side and a door and frame.
and basically, doubled two 4" x 2"s as a head and had a 4" x 4"upright corner then window, then another upright etc
I would recommend building a dwarf wall, about 18" high for it all to sit on out of the wet environment
6" x 2" pole plate, masonry bolted for the rafter plumb cut to fix to and birds mouth the rafter ends by the soffit.
Just make it up as you go along
Mine is 16 feet x ten and cost around a thousand, the one i liked in plastic was £7.500!
Regards Rodders

PS This was corner built, so I needed one front wall and one side wall with doorway.

Yes all softwood, I treated with 5 star cuprinol stood the bottoms in a tinfull, let it suck up.
Rodders

Have you looked at Accoya? Completely durable without lot of chemicals, structurally as good as or better than C16 softwood. Very dimensionally stable. On the expensive side though. Worth a look maybe, cheers, W2S

We have constructed around 80 garden rooms/conservatories from green oak and provided that the glass is in units, rather than direct glazed we have never had any problems. The amount of movement on a 150x150mm beam in very small, especially if they are used green and installed more or less straight away. If you need any more advice then please give me a ring, we are always happy to help.

Thanks
Jack

Latest posts

Back