timber for bandsaw boxes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
Can i ask where do you get the timber from to make your bandsaw boxes? And what timber do you get ? e bay ??

Im a long way from you so dont know the timber merchants there i use tyler hardwoods marlborough wiltshire, interesting timbers near shepton mallet somerset and goulden hardwoods between Andover and Newbury, Berkshire .

tylers i get maple.ash and cherry normally a cube or more at a time thats a cube foot normal sizes i use are 4" x 6"
interesting timbers they seem to stock lots of different types of wood ive had english walnut and english cherry from them in the past
and goulden hardwoods he fells and drys his own timber ive had spalted beech oak and sweet chestnut from.

hope this helps

Hi Alan,

Most of my timber is from local merchants, although I do like to get a load when I visit Yandles shows, as they have so much on display and its easy to see what's what. I am not very knowledgable, but if it looks good I will give it a try and then get more if it works out OK. Particularly like 'spalted' woods.

Using a variation of colours works better than trying to make a box from one single lump of wood and also allows you to make up different sizes to be cut. I am often making up 2-4 blocks to work on later.

Malcolm

Thank,s Malcolm
How big are the Yandles shows, would you need the two day,s or 1 day to have a good look around
Mock

I find that for me, one day is sufficient but it depends on wether you want to see all the demonstrations or just the odd one or two. They are usually very good shows, but best to get there 'before time' to sort out your timber and there are usually plenty of trollys available to load up. Make sure you park near the entrance, as you come out that way with your goods, just tell the attendant that you need to be close for the timber load, otherwise it's a pain wheeling the trolly over all the rough ground. The selection of timbers is really great and often a lot of the 'good bits' go early, with loads of big open boxes of offcuts as well.

The next show is the 8th and 9th April, so get it in your calendar and have a load of fun with your plastic card.

Malcolm

For native hardwoods (and a few "others") I've recently found out that the best place to buy wood is at my wood turning club. Prices are between 1/3 to 2/3 what you'd pay at a shop. Much of the wood are turning blanks but spindle blanks and other large lumps including branch wood in Yew have been available. If you have any interest in wood turning it may be your local club also has good deals for its members? Just a thought.

I'll be at Yandles though ... :lol:

Latest posts

Back