~Timber Brought off EBAY

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jezmaster

Established Member
Reaction score
Been looking on ebay for hardwood timbers, wanna make a cabinet of some sort, fed up with using MDF, so i thought ild give a hardwood ago, any ideas on want hardwoods i should consider using, as im not fussy. is ebay a good place to buy timber, as the priced seem cheap?

I wouldn't buy timber from ebay myself as i think your likely to end up with all the bits no one wants or can use . Why not work out what you need and order the right amount , shop around for prices and you'll soon find a bargin .

Hi Jez

I've bought quite a bit of timber off ebay over the last couple of years, mostly for guitar building, but can't see any reason why you can't you use it for your needs. The timber has all been excellent, in good useful sizes and well worth the prices i've paid.

I disagree that all you find are bits and pieces that no one wants - this is simply not the case.

I've purchased; Walnut, Oak, Enlgish Yew, American Ash, Mohagany

To help you find it, it's usually in this catogary: Clicky

Look for sellers: Saws10 and Paseo246

Hope that helps

thanks, got a mate who rates ebay for timber, as i work in a joinery shop, it can easily be machined to my needs.

Ive never bought timber i cant look at first but i suppose if the price is right maybe its worth the risk and as Byron says hes had some good timber . Might have a look myself :D

Jez

I would not be happy buting timber i haven't seen first. Maybe a local woodyard is a better bet

I too have picked up a few bits and pieces off eBay. I like it because if you can get pieces for a good price you can build up a good little stash without breaking the bank.

Gibson Craftwood is a good place that I have used a fair bit, they will keep whatever you win until you have a complete package (30kg) so you can bid on stuff that takes your fancy but don't have to pay until you have a full package meaning you can sometimes put off actually paying for a few weeks.

They will ship things out immediately if you wish, but sending full packet works out cheaper.

Beware though that you don't always know whats on the other side of the timber so its best to request extra pics.

I've found the seller are very acommadating, one of the sellers even offers a refund policy if you arent happy with the timber, can't ask fairer than that.

For me, there is no difference in buying on ebay and buying mail-order from someone like SL Hardwoods.

Ask for pictures and only buy from sellers with good feedback, and you can' go wrong.

As mentioned, i've got a nice small stash of various hardwoods that hasnt cost me a lot. I would definitly recommend it if you are after small quantities.

Buying veneers is also good on ebay, i've bought some cracking stuff on there before - really good quality.

I've bought turning blanks off e-bay and they have all been at least as good as described/shown.
As Byron said,just go for pictures and good feedback

Andrew

No, no, no. It's terrible, awful, always disastrous. Please don't even consider buying timber there.

especially if im bidding

I've got a mate who's got a small golf ball sideline going on eBay. He treats the balls, the packaging and the posting like they are his children and anyone buying from him couldn't fail to be impressed. But, I'm sure there are some golf ball sellers who look just as good, but turn out to be crooks. The point is, you can get burnt or you could bag a bargain. Large sellers cannot afford to get bad feedback. Stick to the basic's of eBay buying and you should be OK......

If your looking for some cheap hardwood for nothing specific, then give it a try. If you want some hardwood for a specific project, then seek out a timber merchant who can supply exactly what you need.

Latest posts

Back