timber bits seam rippers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melinda_dd

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone turned any of these?

Got the kits today... and not sure what the smaller and tiny tube are for?

They seem way too small to fit the end cap to make a short one, and also to small to put the seam ripper in.... once in it wouldn't come out

Attachments

• 14535867604981138598616.jpg
    14535867604981138598616.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 1,875
Would they be for long / a bit longer / really long seam rippers? You add the 'extension tubes'? (Pure guess)

Edit: for a double-ended seam ripper, would the long tube not be quite long enough to house both sharp bits?

Dalboy":2c30seij said:
Ask the same question on HERE I know some of them have made them.

Also found THIS which is the nearest to yours. The only other thing to do is e mail Timberbits and ask him

Thanks... have done it ....thanks for the pointing in the right direction. ... just waiting for replys

Looking at Timberbits site you have a multi kit there to make either a single or double ended ripper. There are instructions on the site, go to the bottom of any page and you will see a link in one of the lists, but they dont explain why the extra tubes.

As Naz says I think it is dependant on what you make, doing a quick measurement on screen if you did a double ended one the long tube isnt long enough so you would need to add at least one of the tubes.

Hope that makes sense and helps.

john

jpt":1oezs8oa said:
Looking at Timberbits site you have a multi kit there to make either a single or double ended ripper. There are instructions on the site, go to the bottom of any page and you will see a link in one of the lists, but they dont explain why the extra tubes.

As Naz says I think it is dependant on what you make, doing a quick measurement on screen if you did a double ended one the long tube isnt long enough so you would need to add at least one of the tubes.

john

Just tried and they both fit in the bigger tube not a problem.... hurty bits inside the tube that is

NazNomad":2anjqvwj said:
Would they be for long / a bit longer / really long seam rippers? You add the 'extension tubes'? (Pure guess)

Edit: for a double-ended seam ripper, would the long tube not be quite long enough to house both sharp bits?

No extention needed they both fit, the smaller tubes are also smaller in diameter so if ripper bit was put in..... not sure how as would need pressure like pens... it wouldn't come out

From your photo ...

Would you want the 'spike' to overlap the 'cutter blade' inside the tube?

If they were both perfectly aligned, I can't see any way they both fit in one tube without fouling (unless one is bent?)

Attachments

• sr.jpg
    sr.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 1,790
Melinda_dd":35kgmr77 said:
jpt":35kgmr77 said:

john

Just tried and they both fit in the bigger tube not a problem.... hurty bits inside the tube that is

Not made one but from some of the information you have given.

If you make a double ended ripper you insert the small tube inside the long one and put the two gripper strips in from either end so to take the ripper and pointy tool(don't know what that is for. That way when 1 is being used the other is reversed, or both can be reversed for storage.
If you want a single ended ripper them the longer of the short tubes is put in and only 1 of the gripper pieces used the blank end is then blocked off with the clip part.
Hope some of that makes sense.
In other words the two small brass tubes are there to prevent the gripper spring from disappearing into the opposite end of the main tube

NazNomad":ibf70m3j said:
From your photo ...

Would you want the 'spike' to overlap the 'cutter blade' inside the tube?

If they were both perfectly aligned, I can't see any way they both fit in one tube without fouling (unless one is bent?)

Not sure it matters does it? Perhaps that's why the ripper is flat shafted?

Attachments

• 1453591033271-1666453857.jpg
    1453591033271-1666453857.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 1,747
Dalboy":ugqy63x1 said:
Melinda_dd":ugqy63x1 said:
jpt":ugqy63x1 said:

john

Not made one but from some of the information you have given.

If you make a double ended ripper you insert the small tube inside the long one and put the two gripper strips in from either end so to take the ripper and pointy tool(don't know what that is for. That way when 1 is being used the other is reversed, or both can be reversed for storage.
If you want a single ended ripper them the longer of the short tubes is put in and only 1 of the gripper pieces used the blank end is then blocked off with the clip part.
Hope some of that makes sense.
In other words the two small brass tubes are there to prevent the gripper spring from disappearing into the opposite end of the main tube

Not really. ... what do the tubes do inside the big tubes?

Cancel the last comment.....

Dalboy we have a winner!!....

They stop the grippy clip things from slipping and moving... so didn't read the end part if your post.... hate this phone!

THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR YOUR FAST REPLYS AND HELP.
YOU GUYS NEVER DISAPPOINT

Melinda_dd":37arm426 said:

Now you understand what I mean I was just about to post an answer as well.

Was it as I said as I would be interested as I was working it out from what was being said

Dalboy":3bsabcj8 said:
Melinda_dd":3bsabcj8 said:

Now you understand what I mean I was just about to post an answer as well.

Was it as I said as I would be interested as I was working it out from what was being said

Yep it was..... fiddled.... posted.... then re read your post.... and hadn't seen the bottom part.... think my screen cut it off!!

Latest posts

Back