Tilgear router plate - Short review with Pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Jeff. I've fitted a Freud FT2000VCE. I managed to use a couple of the indents on the underside of the plate and only had to drill two "new" holes for my router, fixing it on a slight angle. This Freud has a built-in fine adjuster so, I'm happy with it. :)

When I bought a couple of months ago, I'm sure it was £30... Oh well, I guess prices have gone up slightly.

lemonjeff":1kfotswl said:
Olly,
What router are you putting in?
Tilgears are actually 30 + vat so a fiver cheaper than Axminsters.

Jeff.

Looks like Tilgear have stopped making / selling them... :(
And Axminster now only list the UKJ one :(

I've been following this with interest as I'm in the market for a new insert plate. I currently have a Rutland's phenolic plate (6.3mm) with a Trend T9 router (predecessor to the T11). Whether it is the phenolic material or the fact that it only has 4 grub screws at the corners but I find it does sag in the middle. I have been looking at the 9m alloy ones and the Incra looks good but is expensive at nearly £100 although it does have a lot more adjusters and hence support along the edges. Does anyone have any experience of this please?

We carry the widest range of Incra in the UK and have a good range in stock to fit the majority of routers on the market. This is the list of routers that are compatible with the Incra plates available from us.
We do not currently have them listed independently on the site, it's on the list of jobs to do.
https://esecurepayments.co.uk/WebRoot/D ... bility.pdf
Please let us know if we can help

Cheers Peter

£100 seems an awful lot to pay for a router table insert. Aren't there cheaper aluminium alternatives in the market?

If there are I'd be interested because I just measured my Rutland's table and I don't think the Incra will fit as my insert plate is 12" long whilst the Incra is 11 3/4". That would mean some type of filler which sort of defeats the object when you are trying to get everything as flat as possible. My son is a precision engineer which means he could make the plate for me, it is the fitting of the insert rings that would be a problem and probably not worth his while in terms of setting up his CNC.
My main problem is in trying to level the plate at the point you are routing which for things such as rebates for the bottom and top of boxes is close to the bit i.e in the middle of the plate. I'd be interested if anyone knows if you can get the adjustable grub screws so as you could add these to the middle (of the sides) which would help in adjusting the plate when your fence is set?

Thank you Peter,
Without wanting you to compromise yourself in any way, can you explain why the preference for the Incra?
Gary kindly replied to my queries around the Incra but the dimensions seem just a shade out for the Rutland's Dakota table I have. If there any easy work arounds then I am still very interested but I think I may be rebuilding a table for the sake of an insert plate - no matter how good.

PS - Had the Incra plate been F.O.C ( as per Facebook), that may have been a different issue but alas not.

Glynne":1y02jizn said:
Thank you Peter,
Without wanting you to compromise yourself in any way, can you explain why the preference for the Incra?
Gary kindly replied to my queries around the Incra but the dimensions seem just a shade out for the Rutland's Dakota table I have. If there any easy work arounds then I am still very interested but I think I may be rebuilding a table for the sake of an insert plate - no matter how good.

PS - Had the Incra plate been F.O.C ( as per Facebook), that may have been a different issue but alas not.

Glynne the Incra kit is just so good, the build quality is excellent and well thought out much the same as the Woodpecker and Jessem who all work closely together. The video's show so much more than I can waffle.
I can't comment on the Dakota, and I am afraid I can't suggest any quick fix to the difference is size which would give you a good end product.
If I had only made the connection between you on Face Book and the UKW I could have helped you out by giving you the router table and router plated that matched :)
https://www.facebook.com/woodworkerswor ... ed_comment

Cheers Peter

Glynne":1nni3znp said:
I've been following this with interest as I'm in the market for a new insert plate. I currently have a Rutland's phenolic plate (6.3mm) with a Trend T9 router (predecessor to the T11). Whether it is the phenolic material or the fact that it only has 4 grub screws at the corners but I find it does sag in the middle. I have been looking at the 9m alloy ones and the Incra looks good but is expensive at nearly £100 although it does have a lot more adjusters and hence support along the edges. Does anyone have any experience of this please?

Glynne

I had the same problem with a saggy insert plate (Kreg). In the rebate, that the plate sits in, I fitted a screw-in type insert nut (M6) in the centre of all 4 edges/sides and use M6 machine screws to adjust out the sag. Metric course threads tend to be a bit sloppy, so if you find that they vibrate out of adjustment, wrap a bit of PTFE tape around the screw threads.

Cheers

Oz

Thanks Oz,
It was kind of a mixed blessing to know that despite being a fantastic bit of kit, the Incra wouldn't easily fit and hence saved me forking out £100. As I mentioned, offspring no.1 is an engineer so I'll see of he has any tighter threads I could use.

it may be worth seeing whether number 1 son can make one from aluminium plate. We had a group buy on here some years ago, made from 10mm plate. the plans are probably still on here.

Glynne":3n4laxpd said:
Thanks Oz,
It was kind of a mixed blessing to know that despite being a fantastic bit of kit, the Incra wouldn't easily fit and hence saved me forking out £100. As I mentioned, offspring no.1 is an engineer so I'll see of he has any tighter threads I could use.

Would he be interested in making slider bars for the Incra mitre gauges? We know they are a great bit of kit but only fit 19x10mm slots (3/4" x 3/8")

Cheers Peter

Mark / Peter
So for the delay in replying. Thursday is normally looking after 2 Grandkids but yesterday we had a 3rd and a hyperactive gundog - so I've only just come out of counselling.
Mark - yes I have mentioned him making an insert plate and whilst he can do it, by the time you build in corner / side levellers and insert rings it really wouldn't be with his tooling costs for a very small number, especially given that some of the tables are 12" x 9" and others are 11-3/4" x 9-1/4". His view was that I (or even he) would be better off buying one!
Peter - I'll send you a PM.

Peter Sefton":3nl07cc9 said:
Glynne":3nl07cc9 said:
Thanks Oz,

Would he be interested in making slider bars for the Incra mitre gauges? We know they are a great bit of kit but only fit 19x10mm slots (3/4" x 3/8")

Cheers Peter

Peter,

If you do start selling these, could you put a note on the forum- I have an incra gauge and a kity saw. I was going to make a slider bar from hardwood, but am yet to do so.

Mark

Glynne":19otp7ai said:
Mark / Peter
So for the delay in replying. Thursday is normally looking after 2 Grandkids but yesterday we had a 3rd and a hyperactive gundog - so I've only just come out of counselling.
Mark - yes I have mentioned him making an insert plate and whilst he can do it, by the time you build in corner / side levellers and insert rings it really wouldn't be with his tooling costs for a very small number, especially given that some of the tables are 12" x 9" and others are 11-3/4" x 9-1/4". His view was that I (or even he) would be better off buying one!
Peter - I'll send you a PM.

Often the case, particularly where time is involved and it is a one off.

Obviously if he was to buy one it would save you having to do so and you would be £95 better off.

Latest posts

Back