Tilgear router plate - Short review with Pics

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that I had ordered the Tilgear aluminium router plate. Well today I have actually got round to fitting it.

It's all pretty much good news.

1. It's the same overall size as the Rousseau plate it is replacing. I just needed to ease the edge of the recess a little, but that was because the R plate was also too tight and I'd never got round to doing anything about it.

2. There are good-sized dimples on the underside for drilling mounting holes for many common routers, so no guesswork there.

3. Good levelling by grub screws at all four corners.

4. Starter pin in a choice of two positions screws in place.

5. You get 3 interchangeable insert plates which screw into place. One is blank for any size you want. I've drilled it at 13mm so it will take any cutter up to half-inch.

6. Best of all - it is flat. None of this crowned nonsense.

So are there any downsides? Well yes, but not ones I can blame the manufacturers for, really.

1. The biggest aperture without any of the centre rings is smaller than the Rousseau. Not by much, but enough to prevent me from using my panel-raising cutter :( . It means that I'll have to put the old plate back to do that. But it's not something I do very often, so I can live with that.

2. I'm not sure yet how I feel about having to remove three screws just to get the centre ring out. The Rousseau one just popped out as I raised the router, but could be a pain to get back in. This is easy but a bit more trouble (find the right screwdriver etc, etc.).

3. I'm not sure if it is possible to get just the centre rings. It wouldn't actually be difficult to make some on the lathe (I think even I could turn one) but it would be nice to be able to buy a pack of, say, six blank ones, for any diameter bit I want to use.

Bottom line - am I glad I bought it? Yes.

No affiliation.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks Steve, interesting reading. I was thinking of getting the woodpecker aluminium plate. Didn't know about this one.

Do Tilgear have a website (I can't find one). If they don't, would you mind posting some photos Steve?

Slimjim81":14wpwd6e said:
Do Tilgear have a website (I can't find one). If they don't, would you mind posting some photos Steve?
They don't, Steve I second that request. :roll:

so what about a spacer plate???

i know that defeats the object, but surely it is better to set a spacer than change the router plate every time. :twisted:

paul :wink:

Sorry for the delay folks, I'm up to my neck at the mo.

This what it looks like. You get three rings, one of which is solid, I've drilled it out to 13mm.

The plate also comes in pink, apparently...?????????

The underside is pre-dimpled for drilling for common routers:

That white splurge on the right is a bit of detritus and nothing to do with the plate. The third large hole is to accommodate my Router Raizer.

The four corners are adjustable with grub screws and there is the ability to use a starting pin which screws into either of two positions.

I've used it today for the first time and am very satisfied with it.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks very much for that, Steve. That plate really does look the business. I've not got around to building a router table for my half-inch router yet (been making do with the small Elu table that goes with the MOF96), but when I do I think I will go for that plate as well.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Whereabouts is Tilgear, and do they provide a mail order service if they have no website?

Steve,
What thickness is your plate? I just received mine from Tilgear and it's 6.3mm thick not 9.5mm as per the current catalogue.

Jeff.

Hi Jeff, I've also got the Tilgear plate and, yes, it's also 6.35mm thick. Don't know why they had it listed as 9.5mm... Axminster now sell an identical plate (£10 dearer) and it's listed as 6.35mm thick.

6.35mm

It's not a problem unless you've already routed out the aperture ready to take it.....

One thing I have found is that the grub-screws at the corners vibrate loose and altert the flushness of the plate in the table top. So I've replaced them with short lengths of M6 studding, a screwdriver slot cut in the top, and cut rather longer than the original grub screws. The corner magnets are set in a bit deeper than I intended so the extra length is helpful.

CHeers
Steve

Steve - how much is it - just to compare with others?

I have the Woodpecker one - for many years now. I did not think at first you needed the additional rings but you do and now have the full set.
Cannot really make these as they screw in from the top?

Rod

Rod, they're £30 although, Axminster appear to be selling them for £40.

One downside I've noticed is that because this plate is not screwed down to the table in any way, you cannot quickly "plunge" the router up. I guess you could try locking the fence or leaving a large weight on top... Otherwise, the plate and router both lift out. You also need a pretty snug fit in the recess but, not too tight, or else you may damage the laminate surface slightly.

The supplied Earth Magnets are 8mm in diameter. I didn't have an 8mm forstner bit so I swapped them for some 10mm ones that I had. :wink:

I'm still in the middle of building this table but, with the top done, I'm really liking how flat this plate is. :)

Back