Tile cutter

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
Your going to think I'm bonkers but I am making a dolls house but my table saw the motor is burnt out (now dumped) but was considering buying a tile cutter to cut the small MDF wood.
Can this be possible?

assuming speeds and bore are compatible i dont see why not but i think you could be short of power as if i remember tile cutters are pretty low watts wise.
you may be better off putting a hand held into a plywood frame and making an adjustable fence. you will require ear protectors as well as all the other ppe as they seem to be even noisier than normal having once done this myself.
all the best
rob

They have diamond blades and not that accurate - I would have my doubts, but nothing lost in giving it a try?

Rod

On my tile cutter the arbour size is 22mm, the same as for angle grinders. My table saw is an old Clarke 10" (the really old metal cased version). The motor was already melted when I received it. I retro fitted a 9" grinder to it and I turned a spacer / adapter ring from 22mm to 30mm. I get 80mm depth of cut and it powers through whatever wood I throw at it.
Been going strong for about 6yrs now.

For your dolls house though, you probably only need a small hobby saw. Cheap as chips on ebay. The hobby saw I use occasionally has a 16mm arbour. I removed the TCT blade and fitted the finest blade I had. Cuts very clean and fine.

A scroll saw might also come in very handy for your project.

HTH

Roy

Back