Tiger Myrtle Backsaw Build.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score

After profiling both sides of the handle and inner cheek.

Mortise fit for the hardback.

14" saw plate assemby after being fitted to the handle.

Shaping to the saw handle completed.

Saw handle after 220 grit sanding; followed by coating of garnet shellac. 400 grit sanding still required.

Stewie;

An announcement I made during the week on the Australian Woodwork Forum.

A while ago I mentioned I would like move away from making backsaws. Once Ray http://www.backsaw.net/ completes my order of 20 x 14" slotted brass backs, I will hopefully have enough saw making stock available to make a further 19 backsaws. (excluding some additional saw bolt assemblies from TFWW). I wont be purchasing any extra saw making stock in the future.

I suspect on current trend that it will take me close to 12 months to complete the remaining backsaw builds. When that ends I will continue to offer an after sales service on any of my saws for an additional period of 6 months.

I should also mention my primary motivation into saw making was never about commercial gain. Any money I have made from selling my work has gone straight back into replenishing my stock. If commercial gain was my indeed my primary focus I would by now have purchased a Foley Toothing Machine, as well as simplified my saw handle designs so the shaping work to be done by machine.

Promoting the values of early traditional techniques will continue to be my primary focus.

Stewie;

The shaping of the brass back has been completed. The handle has received its 4th of Garnet Shellac. There is 1 coat left to apply. The handle will then be left for 5 days to to further harden the shellac before its mechanically buffed to a shine.

You can see from the next 2 photo's the difference in depth of color to the handle wood.

before;

after;

A good imprint on the brass back of the stamps bottom text is still an issue to resolve. I will most likely need to redesign the jig I am using. At present the more important top text is clearly defined.

Stewie;

The saw teeth have been shaped 12 tpi / 10* rake angle / no fleam required. Next to do is apply the tooth set ; a light jointing; then sharpened every tooth to a point. The backsaw will then be tested for balanced set each side of the saw plate.

Stewie;

Saw teeth have been sharpened and set. The backsaw was then tested to make sure the set was balanced each side of the saw plate. :mrgreen:

Stewie;

swagman":2xeabfe2 said:
A while ago I mentioned I would like move away from making backsaws. Once Ray http://www.backsaw.net/ completes my order of 20 x 14" slotted brass backs, I will hopefully have enough saw making stock available to make a further 19 backsaws. (excluding some additional saw bolt assemblies from TFWW). I wont be purchasing any extra saw making stock in the future.

I suspect on current trend that it will take me close to 12 months to complete the remaining backsaw builds. When that ends I will continue to offer an after sales service on any of my saws for an additional period of 6 months.

Hi Stewie,

I'm sad to read that, because your saws became very attractice and some of your inventons (The lower sinus curve is the most beautiful invetion since the dolphin tail.) will be missed.

I really would like to see old saws made by you but they all seem to vanish. Sad again.

Any plans for the time after back saw making? Hand saws? Infill planes? Braces? Levels?

Cheers
Pedder

Hi Pedder. The direction I go in will be geared towards further understanding the depth of knowledge of early craftsman. A mix of East and West. I am looking forward to that challenge.

The following is an example of what I would like to get into, but that shouldnt imply I want to abandon my use of western tooling and a workbench. More a direction towards glueless joints. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8vJ11c ... e=youtu.be

regards Stewie;

I found it interesting to compare the way I choose to shape the lambs tongue connection, to that used by Disston's on their earliest backsaw design.

The earliest Disston backsaws had no medallion and the handle was shaped unlike those of later saws. This one has the beak at the top of the handle, which was not used on Disston handles for long. The lamb's tongue at the bottom of the handle was part of the design until the 1850's. http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/backsawpage.html

Stewie;

Back