Tick, tock.... Finally finished

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That really is very smart. But either you take it apart to show us how you put it together or you make another one with full WIP shots, please :lol:

Andy

Thanks for all the compliments, - it's rather nice to place something like this in front of fellow woodworkers and have such nice things said.

I'd always wanted to make one and do consider it now to be an heirloom, - my youngest son has said that he'd like to have it when I'm not around which is nice. For me it truly was a labour of love (but then most of my woodwork is) and I've enjoyed every minute of it and learnt a lot at the same time.

Thought I'd answer some of the questions raised.

The £400 doesn't include any labour at all but does include some router bits (about £50 worth) that I had to buy to make the mouldings. I reckon it's taken about 200 hours so even at a fairly basic fiver an hour that's over a thousand quid!! No wonder they sell for 2 or 3 thousand a go!!

I managed to get the movement from a chap in Bournemouth who imports clocks. Some are damaged so he breaks them up and sells on movements etc. Substantial saving on the 'real' cost of a movement. Running for 3 days now and absolutely spot on so chuffed about that (didn't expect it to be a 'time piece' just a nice bit of kit).

Back