Thresholds - suitable wood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdK

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all - quick question about door liners and door thresholds. Been building an extension and lots of studwork. About ready to add liners and thresholds.

I've bought some liner kits and have made the rough studwork holes 32 1/2" wide and 80" high. I was hoping to find some details in Porter & Cole vol 3 about fitting liners but all seems a bit obtuse and nothing about thresholds.

I think that the liner wood is a bit shy of 1 1/4" thick so am a bit hesitant about fitting the liners without the door (have yet to buy doors) as I feel that if the door is shy too then I might have a gap !

Was hoping for 2'6" / 30" / 762mm wide doors - not the egg carton constrution ones but hopefully something a bit more solid. Anyone found that door dimensions are spot on or way off ?

Also do you fit the threshold after the liner ? Was going for 21mm thresholds but not keen on the utile ones. Is something like ash / oak / cherry suitable ? Was thinking of buying some lengths of one of the above wood and machining up my own thresholds.

Thanks for any advice :)
Ed

Hi,

Standard door sizes:

78 x 30"
78 x 27"

So with a 78x30" door and a 80 x 32.1/2" hole, you should have a tight fit in the width, and in the height you would have 3/4" gap, which would allow for flooring underneath the door and a small gap at the top.

I would say it best to fit the threshold after the liner, as you can just cut it in between and out of your three timber choices, I'd say oak would be best suited to the job. A bit of sapele / meranti would also be suitable.

Hope that helps. :wink:

Thanks very much - any views on good doors / brands/companies to investigate ?

Was thinking of cottagey type doors or modern cottage - bare wood rather than painted.

Any brands to avoid ?

Thanks Ed

As I'm a joiner and generally make doors, instead of buying them, I rarely need to shop around. But if I'm after the odd door here or there, I like to get them from Wickes. Their pine doors are of a good quality at a low price, I have reduced there doors in the past by more than what their guidlines state and the door was still stable.

Other places you might want to try are those specifically for the trade, such as Howdens or Magnet.

Thanks - will check those out. Put together two external doors (utile - a mate machined the parts) and a french door but have about 8 internal doors and my mate's favour has run out ! So buying it is !

Was wondering about the height again... I have 80" / 2032mm to the sub floor. The door is 1981mm with say a 3mm gap top and 3mm gap bottom = 1987mm plus the head of the liner at 28mm... = 2015 which leaves 17mm.

I was planning having 19mm wood flooring (engineered or solid wood I think comes in at between 17mm to 21mm ?)

Do you floor first and have the threshhold on top of the flooring or place the threshold on the subfloor and then fit the finished floor up to it ?

Either way I think that I will need to increase the head head on the studwork to something like :

---------liner head ----28mm
_________gap____ 3mm
_________door___ 1981mm
________gap_____ 3mm
____ threshold____ 21mm
-------subfloor------

2036mm (80 1/8" or even 2057mm - 81" if the thresh goes on top of the FFL)... or have I gone wrong somewhere ?!?! It is Friday after all... right off freediving now, doors can wait :)

Thanks - will check those out. Put together two external doors (utile - a mate machined the parts) and a french door but have about 8 internal doors and my mate's favour has run out ! So buying it is !

Was wondering about the height again... I have 80" / 2032mm to the sub floor. The door is 1981mm with say a 3mm gap top and 3mm gap bottom = 1987mm plus the head of the liner at 28mm... = 2015 which leaves 17mm.

I was planning having 19mm wood flooring (engineered or solid wood I think comes in at between 17mm to 21mm ?)

Do you floor first and have the threshhold on top of the flooring or place the threshold on the subfloor and then fit the finished floor up to it ?

Either way I think that I will need to increase the head head on the studwork to something like :

_______studwork__________
---------liner head ----28mm
_________gap____ 3mm
_________door___ 1981mm
________gap_____ 3mm
____ threshold____ 21mm
-------subfloor------

2036mm (80 1/8" or even 2057mm - 81" if the thresh goes on top of the FFL)... or have I gone wrong somewhere ?!?! It is Friday after all... right off freediving now, doors can wait :)

Hi

Not seen too many thresholds used with internal doors. Is it something special? Either way put the threshold on top of the floor, firstly it makes life easier when fitting the floor, secondly should you have to change the threshold life is difficult if it is 'built in'.

I would fit the threshold as you fit the floor, I remember struggling the first time I fitted a floor, trying to put the threshold in after it was all laid, doing it as you lay it should be easier.

Information from Floors 2 go website:
12-14mm engineered flooring
18mm solid wood flooring

Before you fit any linings, I would recommend sourcing the flooring and the doors so you can be sure of the correct sizes. The last thing you want to be doing really is having to adjust the height of the doors when you was able to determine the height of the doors yourself.

As Xy says you rarely see thresholds on internal doors. Are you using them just to form breaking points between different floor finishes in different rooms. They form trip hazards if higher than other finishes.

I also agree with Xy that it would be easier to floor first and put thresholds on top, it would also make it easier if you decided to either change them or do away with them.

Dennis.

dennis":1qxn27ck said:
As Xy says you rarely see thresholds on internal doors. Are you using them just to form breaking points between different floor finishes in different rooms. They form trip hazards if higher than other finishes.

I was assuming that the thresholds are for the jointing of the different floor finishes. And they should be flush or just slightly overlapping the flooring, you can machine them yourself or buy them.
This is the product that you can just pick up off the shelf:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/Flooring-Trim/Flooring-Multiheight-T-Bar-and-Reducer/invt/201517

EDIT> If these are the thresholds you are on about, I would definatley fit it as you lay the floor around the door area at the same time.

So long as you leave a gap for the bottom channel, it can be fitted after the flooring is down. Don't forget to leave an expansion gap either side of the channel - which the threshold cover will hide.

Thanks for all the replies - very helpful.

Downstairs I need to break between wood --> tile then from tile --> stone so thought a threshold was the way to do it - can't think of a nicer way with those transistions.

Upstairs I'll be breaking between hall/corridor flooring and bedroom flooring (ash probably in hall/corridor upstairs and 'some other' wood for bedrooms) and then the break between hall/corridor and upstairs bathroom.

I think I need to digest the rest of it and come back later ! Thanks Ed

Latest posts

Back