Threadcutting in wood.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Using you proposed method is fine - for more accurate results advance the tool as many times as you can then divide to distance moved by the amount of turns, then divide the answer by 50.

Regards Mick

I'm lucky - my cross slide handwheel is marked in 0.5 of a mm divisions which makes life slightly easier on the math. The hardest thing is accurately setting the work so the cutter is "just kissing" the surface of the wood before turning the dial on the cross slide the requisite number of times before you start cutting the thread. "Just kissing" is much easier to achieve with a very hard wood like box than with a softer wood like sycamore as the points on the cutter are very sharp and the kiss can easily become more intimate (if you see what I mean) - which means you then cut the thread too deep :-(

As to getting the parts you want to thread cut accurately - I know exactly what you mean. When I make a threaded box, I make a plug gauge to fit inside the lid recess and measure the plug gauge as a starting point (I have not found a sensible method of measuring inside a recess in wood accurately and repeatably enough), then add the requisite number of mm for the size of thread I'm cutting to this and cut the flange on the box to that number as accurately as I can - which means a lot of stopping and measuring as you near the correct diameter!

The key I've found is to follow exactly the same procedure each time - and I tend to make threaded items in batches of 10 or so, as I find I get more accurate the more I do.

tekno.mage":2vzl6bzy said:
The hardest thing is accurately setting the work so the cutter is "just kissing" the surface of the wood

Hi

A method used in the engineering world is to attach a piece of cigarette paper to the work with a little spittle - when the tool takes the paper off you're kissing the work.

Regards Mick

Half mil divisions :shock: - are you sure they're not 0.05mm

Kym, Mick. I must be in the right ballpark. My measurement with my method came to 20mm with 10 complete turns divided by 500 gives me .04 mm per mark very close to .05 of Kyms or if i figured correctly .001875 inches. Since my method was pretty crude and the tool was made in Australia i will go with .05 per mark. Now that i have convinced myself of the measurement all i have to do is figure out how to use it. :) . You folks have been great thanks for the advice. BTW, I am an old geezer 76 last October and started turning about two years ago.

(hammer) Hi Folks, I finally had the opportunity to try your suggestions on thread chasing with my Jig. I am impressed with my results. If I can, I will include pix. Fit together like hand and glove.

A bit more fine tuning and I will be a happy camper.

I am having difficulty in posting image, any advice?

Kelsey

Attachments

• Threaded attempt.JPG
    Threaded attempt.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 497
Robbo3":1v9c9d3y said:
Davy

Boffin53 has been selling threading jigs on Ebay for some time. The price has rocketed somewhat.
- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WOODTURNING-L ... 43c87942c2

I thought Kym had posted about her thread cutting jig & methods before:
- prototype-thread-cutting-jig-t43205.html
- more-thread-cutting-t44756.html
- threaded-boxes-t44120.html

Hi Davy,
I think it's because there are two thread options in the same jig - 10TPI and 16TPI - very clever the way these can be interchanged and makes the whole thing much more useful IMHO.

Jon

Latest posts

Back