This weeks Mystery Tool!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evergreen":caogkjdr said:
I guess most members of this forum are too young to remember fish paste sandwiches for tea......
I can remember having fish paste sarnis for T but I never liked them :sick: ...the cat though would take my finger off when I dipped it round the inside of the empty pot for the scrapings...a solid fish paste finger, yum :shock: - Rob

Paul Chapman":1ezsm45w said:
Evergreen":1ezsm45w said:
I guess most members of this forum are too young to remember fish paste sandwiches for tea......

Waddya mean, too young :shock: :shock: I can remember being dragged around the Shipphams Paste factory as a young lad when we were on a week's holiday in Worthing and it rained every day. Can't say I found it very interesting........ :(

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul

You've visited the legendary Shipphams Paste Factory? As a boy, I could only dream of such exotic attractions. A bloater paste sandwich was as near as I got to it (with apologies for a slight thread hijack!)

Ok let's get back to some more idle speculation...

Do you think it's possible that (given the lack of hammer marks) and the presence of the small ferruled end, it might be designed to fit into some sort of press? Imagine the small end uppermost.

This could be consistent with it being for some sort of rivet closing.

With the spring-loaded rim facing down, it could press down on the canvas or leather or whatever the material was, to stop it slipping, as the inner metal surface comes down to bend the eyelet or rivet or whatever the fitting is.

Andy

Keeping on a boating theme (comes of living on an island I suppose) it could probably be used for clenching copper rivets in a clinker hull. The fastenings go onto the ribs, the spring allows them to be held before hitting and the size allows a level of adjustment for the rib's curvature. Would also explain some of the hits missing the centre bit. ??????????????

It's for wrapping chocolate biscuits with foil.
Cover the opening of the big end with foil.
Push into the rebate, through the foil, a chocolate covered biscuit.
Wrap the excess foil over the exposed surface of the biscuit.
Pull the spring loaded colar out of the way therby ejecting biscuit number 4565 of todays production.

Talking of biscuits........

xy

mahking51":3qw3n8lp said:
Hi all Just got this thingy!
Any ideas are welcome.

The outer sleeve is spring loaded and the centre area is dished and pock marked from being hit with something like a punch.
Jewellers Tool?
Leatherwork?
Cheers,
Martin

I'm sure I've handled one, probably over 50 years ago.

I think the proper use is to put the big end over something, then push or strike the little end, maybe to crimp something.

I agree, those pock marks look like abuse, maybe from using the thing as a hammer. Brass would have been chosen because it's soft but not so soft as (say) lead and heavy.

Leatherwork, upholstery....

frugal":1nmex0im said:
This is a daft suggestion, but could it be for hitting in the last blow on a nail to stop the wood being damaged? Maybe the top is not damaged because it has been hit with a wooden mallet?

Like I said, daft suggestion.

You're right

Daft is the word, that brass is way too soft.

Mmmmmmmm...

I have to agree the the pock marks look like they are from incorrect t use of the tool.

When I was a lot younger I seem to recall using a smaller looking version of a very similiar looking tool. These were fixed and not spring loaded.

We used it on the farm for eyeslets or grommets in leather or heavy canvas.
But as I recall there was also another componant/s.

These where a set of disks fitted in the hollow of the spring loaded ring, these varied in size to accomadate the different thickness of material and/or grommet.

But what realy gets me is what the pin and spring load is for...???
I can only surmize that if this tool was use for a similar purpose and given it's size, that you would then push the pin in and retrack the collar to be able to eject the finnished work.

Having pondered this tool for some days now, I think it's an old shotgun cartridge tamper from the days when shooters loaded their own cartridges.

The fact that it's made mainly of wood and non-ferrous metals would avoid any kind of accidental spark.

Hi Guys,
Still not sure here but I think that leatherworking is starting to get my vote.
The gun idea is interesting but how would the tool access any cartridge I' ve ever seen is a mystery.
It does seem possible that the tool is incomplete and maybe should have some other components that fit inside the moveable collar and that is how they are ejected after use, maybe to overcome the friction of holding some kind of material tightly.
Certainly is weird this one....
Martin

Back