This weekends turning efforts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny.t.

Established Member
Reaction score
Last week I spotted an abandoned log on the side of the road,so I stopped and 'rescued' it :whistle:. It had been there a long time but to my delight was fairly dry inside. Not sure what it is but the other trees around it were all sycamore. Anyhow upon opening it up I spotted a bit of spalting 8) .
spaltedsycamore010small.jpg

The log in the background is whats left over. I got quite a bit of tear out on the outside of the bowl but found up some vicious 60grit and sorted it out. Both are finished with a wax stick. Let me know what you think.

johnny.t.

I really like the goblet but then I like goblets. Not that there is anything wrong with the bowl just that it is overshadowed by the goblet for me. Looks as though you have the sap wood going through the top of the bowl, watch for splits there.

Pete

Love the goblet and the bowls not bad.

The goblet shows what I like most about turning, a good form revealing the hidden wonders of the wood :D You can never tell what is inside!

Mike C

Same as everyone else so far - both very nice (fantastic figuring),but the goblet edges in front ; lovely shape,style and proportions :D

I really do like the bowl as well :wink:

Andrew

Great interpretations developed from a very basic source material, the thickness of the bowl goes well with the general proportions and the goblet style makes the most of the woods features and finished well.

Thanks for the replies :D Chris thanks for the positive id :) . The goblet came out really well and i'm really pleased with it and the bowl is the first one I've made that hasn't gone oval after a day!!
This afternoon(being rained off work) I used the piece of wood in the background of the first pic to make another goblet, this time I went for a more 'light' look.
spaltedsycamore11small001.jpg

cheers johnny.t.

Again a nice piece of work. Nor quite so keen on the shape compared to the first one but that's just a matter of taste

Pete

I love both the grain and the shape of the goblet. I think the grain colouring is fantastic.It is funny that some of the best coloured grain wood is stuff that is just there to be picked up. Its just being in the right place at the right time.....with your nose to the ground. :D

Looks a little more utilitarian 'medieval?' than the previous on, lucky to get such good colouring from sycamore, can often dry with a grey shading throughout that can look uninspiring.

Love the goblet,
very well balanced, attractive figuring, The bowl, nice simple design. Again good figuring, It will probably warp but that is to be expected being 'found' wood. All in all very good
John.B

i dont know what wood it is/i done some similar stuff to the goblet in hawthorn,that too had gorgeous figuring, has the bowl been finished in any way?keep up the great work , and keep an eye out for some more freebies, just be carefull with the wet stuff,can get some nasty rashes,all the best

Thanks for replies, I can't make my mind up whether or not I like the second goblet,sometimes I really like it and others it looks like a wine glass with the top inch and a half of the bowl missing :lol: .
cheers johnny.t.

I'm with you on the 2nd goblet Johnny, one minute
i think it's nice then i don't know. :?
The 1st goblet though is a different matter, it
is a real beauty. 8)

Back