This bench is seriously impressive

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FullFat

Reaction score
I'm a fairly new member to the forum, I read a lot of threads and make the odd comment. I was looking around for ideas for a space saving mobile bench for use in the garage and came across this video. I'm pretty sure it's outside my skillet at the moment but the sheer ingenuity and engineering thought he's put into the design is fantastic!

I agree that a lot of ingenuity went into building that bench, but I'm not sure he's ended up with anything worthwhile. I suspect it's more gimmicks than practical solutions.

It's basically a lot of small capacity, economy machines that swing from underneath the bench to on top. Woodworkers tend to outgrow entry level machines pretty quickly, but in this case he's stuck with them as the bench can't easily accommodate any changes.

This lack of versatility also carries over into the layout. Let's say he's using half the bench for a glue up, but then wants to use his bandsaw. If the bandsaw was stored on a shelf elsewhere then no problem, but if the bandsaw is directly below the glue up then it scuppers any progress.

One of the key requirements of a practical bench design is ease of clamping, but this design offers very few clamping opportunities.

Seems a bit Swiss army knife to me. It's compact and does a lot of stuff, but you're stuck with the level of functionality it comes with.

The lack of clamping I think is a problem. I like the approach to the overall mobility and for an area with limited space, like me, I think the compromises (clamping apart) work

He has put thought and time into that bench and everything he can put on/in it!
It reminded me of this bench which is the flip side with nothing extra and just as impressive. I was thinking of making this sometime as an assembly bench which can be stored away.

https://www.thisiscarpentry.com/2011/09/09/the-ultimate-work-bench/
1609362135886.png

Then packs down in his trailer.
1609362203252.png

Interesting. I doubt if anyone actually uses tools in this way though, in a wholly sequential fashion.

When I saw him lift up the pillar drill, I thought "If you had my Fobco star upside down like that, there is no way you would rotate it without another strong bloke to help :ROFLMAO: ".

Do these YouTube sorts ever make anything other than workbenches and storage systems?

Seems like the starter is more important than the main course!

Cheers James

I’m sorry to deflate you Fullfat.
I must admit to not having watched it, I didn’t need to to make this point. The cupboard doors are mounted on the front which precludes using the vice for virtually anything. Has this guy ever made a piece of furniture?

As others have noted, the first thing that struck me was that the benchtop has no overhang.
For me an overhang all around of 75 - 100mm is essential for clamping, without that it's not a bench, it's just a cupboard.

I’m sorry to deflate you Fullfat.
I must admit to not having watched it, I didn’t need to to make this point. The cupboard doors are mounted on the front which precludes using the vice for virtually anything. Has this guy ever made a piece of furniture?
He explains they're on the outside to give clearance for the flip top and the door then provides additional support to the top when closed. I agree the lack of clamping is an issue but the thought and engineering involved are great and suit his uses.

Virtually everybody I know would like a bigger workshop. The biggest problem is not allocating space for main machines, it is all the other bits and pieces we collect so any different takes on storage systems are always interesting.
Like cabinet man, I couldnt use this type of bench as it has no serious work holding.
What I want is the plans for a Narnian wardrobe so I can put all my offcuts and timber storage somewhere
Ian

Ive seen a few of these benches on you tube and all of them bar a few all seem to share the same flaw - You cant sit at them with your knees under the bench.

It is a good idea to have everything to hand, that folds out the way, and a bit like having a combination machine with covers over the top of it to use as bench space.

Its only redeeming feature in my mind is the size of the top. Much better to be laying out or assembling on that size than have things overhang as the surface area is too small.
I do what i guess most do which is to work directly on the top of my sawbench. just because its got the largest flat area to lay out projects on.

Latest posts

Back