thinknesser planner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

denvir

Established Member
Reaction score
hello , i've been offered a charnwood w580 thinknesser but can not find any parts for it does any one now where you can get parts thank you ,does any one now much about dodd planner i'm looking at one on ebay but the same again can you get parts are they any good has anyone got one your help would be helpful i need a planner thats going to plan oak . :lol:

hello, and thank you i don't need parts yet i just don't want to bye then can not get parts i would rather save more money and bye something i can get parts for i any want to bye once .but if you could get parts for it i would bye the charnwood one because its cheap and in good condition

There are a lot of pretty-much-identical designs around, for example SIP, Axminster, Metabo (even the same colours!), etc. I'd be very surprised indeed if they didn't all have the same parts in most bits. There are some unique designs, for example my Kity: It looks similar but it's wasn't originally a Chinese-made one (French design), and the mechanics aren't the same as yours.

I'm 90% sure the Charnwood is Chinese, and, as carlb40 said you'll find parts from other machines will almost certainly fit.

Good quality planer knives can be had from Appleby Woodturnings (note: measure the knives, take a pic of them, and email Appleby - they're really helpful) and Doug at Cutting Solutions (also very helpful).

Also, Axminster are a very good place to get matching spares from, if:
  • you download and look through the manual for their equivalent product.
  • you find their part number for the piece you need.
I've done this in the past with my table saw (sliding table bearings, etc.), with great success.

I don't think it's fair to pester them with "I want a part for my Charnwood - you might stock it...", but, if you're prepared to do the leg-work and find the matching part number yourself (from the Axminster product's manual), they're very helpful and will put it in the post for you.

Many of these machines are becoming very expensive now to buy new, because of the Pound and Euro exchange rates against the Chinese Yuan. If you can get a secondhand one at a good price, it has to be a better bet. Charnwood as a brand don't have a bad reputation (I don't own any of their stuff, but you don't read lots of complaints here!), so worst case you can buy their branded spares.

Do a bit of Googling to find a Charnwood dealer.

Hope that helps,

E.

I'm amazed to find the EU has some uses after all! The EC Declaration of Conformity in the manual for the Axminster P/T shows the manufacturer as: "Quingdao Capital Resource Electric Co." The Metabo manual doesn't say, but it looks absolutely identical to the Charnwood, too, as does the Screwfix version.

denvir":1fo8ymyb said:
does any one now much about dodd planner i'm looking at one on ebay but the same again can you get parts are they any good has anyone got one your help would be helpful i need a planner thats going to plan oak . :lol:

Wow, that's a trip down memory lane! Dodd were based in ?Staffordshire? and made some very solid machines, although from memory, they had some slightly "odd" design features. Chances of spares are probably remote, as they haven't been advertising since at least the early 80s or possibly earlier, so have presumably gone to that great repository of British manufacturing in the sky (not even to China!)

Latest posts

Back