Things to do with an old wooden jack plane.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MikeG.":474hsznf said:
Rorschach":474hsznf said:
....... I found a another use for the plane, it's great for slicing off the tip of your finger! :shock:

I'm curious as to what you hope to achieve by doing this.

Pain, awkwardness and a gory finger to scare the missus.

Oh! I assumed you were working on matching fingertip surfaces (along the lines of the edge jointing thread), probably for picking up the pins which must litter your workshop floor.

My scrub plane has blade width of 32mm and (pure coincidence) has camber radius about the same 32 ish. It's highly effective. There is no "standard" - a scrub plane (if not purpose made) is just an old plane, ideally narrow, with a deep camber for gouging the surface from wood needing a "scrub" e.g. painted, or old and weathered. The whole of the blade (sticking out beyond the sole) will wear - you are gouging a hollow channel with the whole edge. You could do it with a similar shaped gouge but a scrub plane is easier if you are working towards a flat surface.
The whole point of a scrub plane is that it cuts into the clean wood below instead of through the rubbish (grit etc) on the surface. Old paint ditto - it blunts an ordinary shallow cambered blade really quickly so you need a scrub instead.
PS you can fake the scrub action by tilting a normal blade as far as it will go but only extending an inch or so of width. You then plane a shallow triangular section instead of a hollow scoop, but it does the same job more or less.

Back