Quantcast

thicknessing stringing with a LAJ

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

madge

Established Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few jigs for thicknessing stringing and lie nielsen sell a purpose tool for the job - but could I just put my veritas LAJ on its side and pull the stringing through its mouth to get it to the right dimensions?

xy mosian

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi madge, I see no-one has replied, which is a shame as I would like to know the answer. Still, as I have been wondering here are my thoughts, for what they are worth. When you say "but could I just put my veritas LAJ on its side and pull the stringing through its mouth to get it to the right dimensions?", do you mean in the manner of making a thick shaving? I would think that would be difficult, actually pulling the stringing through. Still it must be worth a go, after all what have you to lose?

I was thinking of using stringing in a previously veneered panel. Now as I see it I need to prepare the groove then stick in the stringing. After that the stringing would need scraping to give a surface flush with its surroundings. Surely in a case like that the stringing does not really need thicknessing before use. Why do the ' final sizing ' job twice?

Cheers

xy

Steve Maskery

Established Member
Reaction score
You have to thickness it to the right width though, Xy.
I think the problem you will have using the LAJ as a thicknesser is that of grain direction. If you can pull a continuous string through that without breaking it, you are a better woodworker than I, Gunga-Din.
There are lots of jig designs for this sort of job. Although I have done it in the dim and distant past, I cannot recall which particular jig I used. But start with Bob Wearing and see where it takes you.
Essentially you need to be scraping down to size, rather than trying to plane it.
S

xy mosian

Established Member
Reaction score
Steve, I agree entirely about pulling, as suggested.

Surely if it is width which is required then thickness a board before slicing off, in the manner of moldings of old. If working with stock already of veneer thickness then a cutting gauge with two blades. Don't Veritas do such a thing?

All good fun

xy

katellwood

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know what kit you have but I managed to get AW oak accurately down to .8mm this way

to laminate these

beads for this

madge

Established Member
Reaction score
thank you all for the insightful replies. I agree about pulling through the LAJ, although I'll still try this when the stringing I ordered arrives, maybe honing the blade to 60 degrees or so. I'm just about to order a pillar drill so will have a go with a sanding drum and a similar setuo to the one suggested by katellwood. Following steve's comment that a scraping action should do it I also made a small jig involving a cabinet scraper. When I get chance this weekend to try out the various methods I'll let you know what happens!

Tony Spear

Established Member
Reaction score
Steve Maskery":16mxbger said:
You have to thickness it to the right width though, Xy.
I cannot recall which particular jig I used. But start with Bob Wearing and see where it takes you.
S
Bob Wearing does have a jig for that.

He calls it a "Mini Combination Machine" 'cos it does more than really thin thicknessing.

It's in "Router Tips and Techniques", althogh I have a feeling he might also have published it somewhere else.

I made one some years ago, although I can't remember why, or how well it worked and I haven't seen it for years.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
For a really simple, uncomplicated approach to thicknessing stringing, using a plane, have a look at this video by Garret Hack:
http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=31332
His technique is just to use a suitable piece of properly flat wood to work on, hold one end of the wood he is using, and plane away.
It's worth noting that he also aims for a tapered section to the stringing and to its groove. I saw some of his work close-up at Westonbirt a couple of years ago and can confirm that it looks really good in the flesh.

katellwood

Established Member
Reaction score
Steve Maskery":2aibmql4 said:
Katellwod
How did you cut the M&T at the diminishing stile? Nice job!
S
Steve

Replying from work, when i get in will post some additional photo's re the making of this door (thats if the original poster has no objections)

Chris