thicknesser / planer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnchuckalumba

Reaction score
hello, Im looking for a 15" CAPABLE PLANER THICKNESSER to remove the 'cup' from my wide boards which i plan to make shelves from. I would appreciate any Ideas. I looked in an old Axminster catalogue and saw a 15" MACHINE BUT UNFORTUNATELY IT HAS BEEN DISCONTIUED. AHH. :x
thanks john

Welcome to the forum. Other than looking through Rutlands/Axminster and other manufacturers catalogues could you get a local joinery firm to do it, if its only a one off - they may have a larger machine.

Alternatively, you could rip the boards, plane then re-joint them? It will only cause the loss of a thickness of a saw blade.

How about Rojek? http://www.rojekuk.com/

They seem to do some larger stuff.

Adam

Adam":2flaj5f6 said:
Alternatively, you could rip the boards, plane then re-joint them? It will only cause the loss of a thickness of a saw blade.

Adam

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Big planers tend to cost big bucks so I would go with Adam's suggestion. If you alternate the direction of the growth rings when you glue up the panels they will be much more stable and less likely to cup in the future.

johnchuckalumba":idjd48e3 said:
hello, Im looking for a 15" CAPABLE PLANER THICKNESSER to remove the 'cup' from my wide boards which i plan to make shelves from. I would appreciate any Ideas. I looked in an old Axminster catalogue and saw a 15" MACHINE BUT UNFORTUNATELY IT HAS BEEN DISCONTIUED. AHH. :x
thanks john

hi John
You might want to look at This

orThis

and just to prove I'm not biased :D look Here.

All 16" in new money :)

John

Welcome to the forum.

I would go the route Adam has suggested unless you really want to spend the money on a machine big enough to do the job.

Hi John

Welcome to the forum.

I would follow Adam's advice unless you want to spend a disproportionate amount of money to be able to plane wider boards.

Cheers
Neil

Back