Thicknesser - disposable blades or not?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Dave, Are you are talking about the blades for the Axminster CT330 thicknesser.
Although they only mention disposable blades for this model, it might well be worth giving Axminster a ring ,and asking them if that model will also take non disposable blades.
The reason for this is, they only mention disposable blades for the Elektra Beckum 26OM, but I know for a fact that it also takes non disposable blades.

It might very well only take disposable blades, but it is worth asking.

By the way I agree £30 is a lot of money for a pair of disposable blades, especially when you think that first time out you could hit a nail, which will make them only fit for the bin.

I am probably wrong here, but I seem to remember reading many moons ago that despite what they tell you, you can actually sharpen disposable blades for a limited time after they become blunt. Can anyone confirm this?

Good Luck

Mike

You can usually sharpen disposables at least once in my experience.
And most disposables are double edged

£30 might seem a bit steep for that machine size, you can shop around for much cheaper ones, but they do vary in quality a lot, alloyed steel, tool steel, chrome steel, high speed steeel, carbide steel etc etc. replacables usually mean much faster blades changing, less down time.

Dave

I have owned my Delta thicknesser for about 2 1/2 years now and the first set of disposables are still in it although they are double edged and have been changed round once. I bought a spare set when I got the machine - but still in their wrapper

I`ve resharpened my disposable blades for the Elektra Beckum planer using the Rexon horizontal whet stone planer blade sharpening machine. I can get them sharpened as good as new with this tool. You can get about three sharpenings before you ding the blades. I also bought the resharpenable blades and coversion kit for the Elektra, have`nt had need to install them yet. I bought the blade sharpener second hand for £20. It had hardly had any use. You can buy a new one for about £99 I beleive.

one point not made too much off, is that with re-sharpenable blades
you tend to be able to replace them without adjusting the fitting,
but obviously if you sharpen, then you need to buy the setting gear too.

there is a previous thread about adjusting kits for planers.

paul :wink:

Can anyone recommend a reliable blade sharpener using a mail service, but with postage costs these days is it worth buying resharpenable blades?

devonwoody":10hcfapm said:
Can anyone recommend a reliable blade sharpener using a mail service, but with postage costs these days is it worth buying resharpenable blades?

Hi DW

You could try talking nicely to someone around here with a Tormek and the planer knife jig! Just a thought.

Cheers

Lord Nibbo":31m6l7fu said:
devonwoody":31m6l7fu said:
Thanks scott for the plug. :)

Where are you in Devon DW? I'm near Looe over the border.

I'm in Torbay, I still have one side of a blade set to use on disposable and at the moment using the final side of resharpenable.

However, here comes a GLOAT. I'm off to Oz. shortly for a 6 month holiday so most probably dont need to consider a touch up until next year. :)

devonwoody":1idns2ev said:

DW, I have a chap locally to me who does a great job regrinding my planer knives, saw blades, router bits etc., he even brazes new tips into sawblades where necessary. Charges (I'd have to double check since I haven't used him for a few months) are about 35p/inch for knives and £7.50 for a 25mm saw blade (I think it depends on number of teeth). I don't think he does a postal service, but I would be happy to deal with passing items to him and posting them back for a small consideration.

Mark

Cheers for the info. I suddenly realised the other day that I hadn't actually seen any of the machines I'm considering. I've pretty much decided on the Makita 2012NB so I'm going to take a look at that on Saturday. With any luck I'll get carried away and just buy one.

Cheers,

Dave

I did it! I bought the Makita 2012NB. It was the last one they had so it had to be the display model but I got it for £290 which included the dust hood and a spare set of blades. It's never been used so it seemed to be a bit of a bargain to me. Now I've just got to wait til my birthday to use it!

I didn't get a dust extractor as I'm fairly set on getting one of the two Axminster extractors mentioned on the other thread.

Cheers for all the info,

Dave

Well done on getting your machine Dave. Just a thought about the sharpening, Most local tool shops know someone who does it, and around here most of the local joinery shops etc, are more than happy to recommend who they use. I use a chap who calls round to the area weekly and he charges an extra 75p for a collection/drop off service. I just call him up occasionally and he pops round.
Mark

The other place to ask is a hire shop, they will have contacts for getting their blades and cutters sharpened and will probably take yours in for collection.

Back