There's a bullet in my wood!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Re-sawed some American Walnut this evening and found

Bullet_in_wood.JPG

On very close inspection, I could see where it entered, but the wood had 'healed over' obscuring the entrance hole

Glad they're made of lead!

Just edited it as I wrote Cherry :? - it's American Walnut :roll: :oops:

Interesting. Looks like some pretty dark cherry. Almost has a walnut grain pattern and color to it.

Are you going to use the bullet as a feature?

That's definately a good talking point when you finish the project. :wink:

Reminds me of a true story I heard 40 years ago about a steel object being embedded in a lump of newly mined coal, Eastern European mine.
The story still facinates me, but I wonder if the item above from Tony had anything to do with Cherryokees.

Edit

PS Why has my thread posted on this page become oversized? It needs a scrollbar extended to read.

devonwoody":30jlboc4 said:
PS Why has my thread posted on this page become oversized? It needs a scrollbar extended to read.

Because of the large picture :)

devonwoody":rsr0bpnz said:
........The story still facinates me, but I wonder if the item above from Tony had anything to do with Cherryokees.
Careful they don't Souix for defamation, it's not Apache on your earlier puns :)

aparantly sawyers in some areas of vietnam are still getting maimed and saw blades being destroyed by bullets and shrapnel burried in trees

i guess this isnt peculier to vietnam, any war zone is likely to have this problem

Unfortunately, I can't make a feature of it as there was no way I was going to run the remains of the bullet through my thicknesser :shock:

If it's not too badly damaged you should try to get it "aged" may be quite old - was it jacketed or plain lead?

Tony why not its lead, it will cut very easily :wink:

Oh just in case it doesn't remember its not my fault 8)

and if you decide to bin the wood remember that my car is called 'bin'

dirtydeeds":2tbxs2t2 said:
aparantly sawyers in some areas of vietnam are still getting maimed and saw blades being destroyed by bullets and shrapnel burried in trees

i guess this isnt peculier to vietnam, any war zone is likely to have this problem

Shell splinters in trees are really very common in trees in former war zones...if the trees have survived.
Here in Germany the Hürtgenwald is perhaps the most dramatic example. In "The hell of the Hürtgenwald" [--> Hemingway], a battle with extreme losses of soldiers, almost the complete forest, famous for its old and precious oaks, was destroyed. Local carpenters refused and often still are refusing wood from old oaks from there due to the very high risk of shell splinters in the wood.

My former wood dealer once brought a maple trunk to a sawmill, and the people there just forgot to run a check on metal in wood...not only the saw blade but the whole machinery was so destroyed that they finally closed down. The trunk contained a full large-size shaft crank :shock: It must have once been leaned again the tree and was completely incorporated in the wood, not visible from outside.

Philipp

Bean":ye92smuv said:
Tony why not its lead, it will cut very easily :wink:

Thoughts of it shooting out once again....... :lol:

Thanks for the offer of the use of your 'bin'. I have a bag of shavings looking for such a place at the moment :wink:

I'm sure nobody wants to hear my quip about shooting boards.

;)

Gill

Back