The Train

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been working on this for a little while now, it was a small request from the great grandson.

It is 22" long 6 1/2" wide and 10 1/2" tall and strong enough for a small child to sit on the cab. The number is his dad's banger racing number and it is called Toby the Tank engine as he wanted it for his 1 year old brother of the same name. As can be seen it is based on Thomas the tank engine but with differences.

All the round parts are turned on the lathe.

2014-06-17001006_zps45118d74.jpg

2014-06-17001005_zpsd264f34f.jpg

Snoopy is there as part of a joke on an Australian website and is called my little helper :lol:

That's a project to be proud of, 'sit on ability' is a must for such items.

Daughters caravan I made, pull along dolls house equivalent, (modern little girl of the sixties) has been seen more than once with extra cargo sitting on the roof and although a little care worn now is still 'playable' when it gets dug out of storage for another visiting generation.

Another one of those "labour of love" items. No one will never know how much time and skill you put into making that...

Hope they get years of fun from it.

Thank you all. Its things like this that I get a lot of pleasure in making especially when the young ones eyes light up when they see it.

That's a proper toy, he'll be thrilled with that Dalboy. Super bit of craftsmanship! =D> =D>

Dalboy":3lus125m said:
Thank you all. Its things like this that I get a lot of pleasure in making especially when the young ones eyes light up when they see it.

Its way beyond that Dal. I still have a wooden car garage my Dad made me when I was 6 years old. It had a working lift to move Dinky cars up to the first floor "showroom", STP stickers and Shell Oil etc. A work of art. I've passed it down to my boys and they had years of use out of it. I have little doubt they will pass it on if they have boys. It is a genuine heirloom so the face lighting up is just the start :) What it really does is help teach the little ones how to value things and how, if done right, love is part of the making process :)

I know I've already commented on this, but ain't it a shame you couldnt make and sell them without jumping through hoops to satisfy elf n safety, I could just see my grandsons face if he had one of these, he's Thomas the Tank mad. I think we do need some sort of legislation, but sometimes its a bit ott.

Baldhead

Thank you all for the great comments. Just to make it worth while I think the expression on his face tells the story better they collected it about an hour ago.

2014-06-18001015_zps713df60e.jpg

2014-06-18001013_zps32e13028.jpg

2014-06-18001004_zps48a962fe.jpg

Baldhead":1q4x29om said:
I could just see my grandsons face if he had one of these,

Baldhead

You could always make one. If you are interested send me your e mail and I will send the plans they are in PDF format but you will have to work out the face for yourself.

That's cracking chap, you should be really proud. I agree with the fun police comments too. While absolutely necessary to have legislation, I'll be willing to bet that particular toy will outlast all current & future regs.
A real "money can't buy" toy.

This will end up as a collectors item like the model Morris van on Bargain Hunt this lunch time brilliant piece of work.

Back