The Tool Shop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smudger

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't know if this is allowed, but I want to put in a plug for a small part-time old tool shop in Wallington, Surrey. I guess if it isn't OK the mods will pull the thread.
I've felt a need for a Record 05½ for a few weeks, I'd looked on ebay (silly prices) and there's nothing at any of the respectable old tool places, so today (after amusing my doctor with the details of my hilarious stay in hospital before Christmas) I popped in to see Mick. He actually had two 05½s, both grimy and grotty but otherwise OK, no cracks, dings or bulletholes that I could see, for £25 each. High end price, but acceptable, so I chose the older of the two, old-style cutter, good length, grimy but easily cleanable, obviously a professional's plane. It's even sharpened well enough to use.

I have had a bit of stuff from Mick over the last few years, various planes, chisels, a Millers Falls Yankee and so on. He's a friendly bloke, and if you are a bit of a restorer he's got a few planes in (about 20 or so I would reckon, from 03s upwards, Stanleys and Records) and a shelf of chisels.

I didn't stay long, so can't give much in the way of detail, but if you are a restorer looking for a project or need a specific item (he had a couple of small Bosch routers, for example and a number of height gauges as well as a lot of other engineering bits and tons of woodworking stuff) he's worth a try. He reminds me a bit of Bill Plumpton.

The shop is The Tool Shop, next to Wallington Public Hall (I believe Paul Chapman saw the Rolling Stones play there in 1964) at 3, Stafford Road. Phone 0208 647 0773/07812004656. He's open on Mondays from 3 to 7, and Saturdays 9-3. You can park (cheekily) in Sainsbury's dead opposite.
He also buys, of course, and does clearances of workshops and sheds.

No financial arrangement - just a genuine testimonial.

Smudger":2871jpav said:
I believe Paul Chapman saw the Rolling Stones play there in 1964

:shock: :shock: :lol:

I've bought a few bits and pieces from that shop as well - Record #05SS, Record #405, for example. Hasn't always got much in but at other times there are some really good bargains.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Penny Farthing Tools is much the same sort of place in Salisbury. They usually have a decent range of second hand woodworking tools as well as loads of other stuff, including some decent machinery from time to time - Rob

It's good that these places still exist - though I sometimes wonder how. Apparently Brighton is good for pickings in the antique/junk shops.

Cheers, Dick - I'd come across mention of that one before, but couldn't find out if it still existed or not. I'll add it to the List - which I see is yet another page in some need of weeding out dead links. Ack. #-o

And £25 is in no way high-end. You should try round here. :(

great to see people still interested in the older tools, thing is its hard to make a living, I sell things as a bit of a hobby this way trying to keep down costs and prices, a bit of fun and sometimes takes over most of my spare time. check me out, and feel free to ask any questions.

Alf":1gjwh64g said:
And £25 is in no way high-end. You should try round here. :(

Maybe. There have been several on the bay for the same price that looked (I said looked) cleaner. But there's one on for £45, that's been there for two months with no takers, and another not sold at £30. Trouble is you take so many risks over condition, which is why it's better to be able to hold before you buy. In general Mick's prices are fair imho.

Now, anyone know of any 400½s going cheep? I'd pay up to £35 for a good one...

cheers Alf,

just a bit of a hobby been a collector of some planes for about 8 years now and met a lot of nice people along with some sharks thou,
would love to have a go at my own plane im sure many out there have?
Gary

Latest posts

Back