(The Road to) Name that Machine?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
Bowing to peer pressure here is the next installment in "Name that Machine"......... This first device is most definitely not for ravioli, but it is a woodworking machine:-

6a1.jpg

It's a recent machine being made well into the 1960s (or even later). I require the exact purpose plus the sector of industry, otherwise it's no strike!

The second one is definitely an Enigma machine, although it might be an enigma machine.....

6b1.jpg

Whilst the third is a what???

6c1.jpg

Enjoy!

Scrit

#-o \:D/ :-({|= ](*,) 8-[

Personally I've seen the first one in use when I was a lot younger, in Glasgow (I think). The second one I know about, but I've never used and the third one I wouldn't have the foggiest how to use, but it's still very much a day to day tool for some in the woodworking sectoir

Scrit

No1 An auto feed overhead moulder
No 2 a portable copy pin router
No 3 a circle turning attachment for a lathe

no 1 is a scarifier machine for railway sleepers
no 2 lathe copying tool . funnily enough for a robinson lathe
no 3 still thinking

mel and john":1rched7w said:
no 1 is a scarifier machine for railway sleepers
I though you said you hadn't a clue! It is in fact a timber inciser for railway sleepers - designed to incise (prick) the sides of the sleepers so that they will take up more creosote during pressure treatment. Well done Mel!

This particular machine is a Robinson ES/T and is their "small entry level" machine at a mere 1,5 tonnes, but then it can only accommodate 14 x 14in sleepers. Its' bigger brother, the SB/T weigs in at a more impressibe 8 tonnes and accommodates 18 x 18in sleepers.

No. 1 down already :cry: No. 2 and No. 3 still up and running.......

Scrit

youve put me right off now jason :evil:
darent have a guess now in case i get it right :?
im still owed a cupie doll anyway

nickson71":22w6tpj2 said:
No 2

is this device for making a copy of a profile on paper to be used as a template
Yes, but for what machine or type of device is the template used?

mel and john":22w6tpj2 said:
youve put me right off now jason :evil:
darent have a guess now in case i get it right :?
im still owed a cupie doll anyway

Hey there - this is the Internet, cyberspace, virtual reality - so it was a virtual cupie doll :D

Scrit

No 3 is for indexing on curved material
Oh cmon Mel you know im just winding you up because i didnt get it :lol:

Any advance on no. 3? Still a mile off......... Reckon some of the neanders might know this one. :wink:

Scrit

jason . group hug

no 2 is a template copier for a lathe used for stair spindles and newls
no 3 is a aircraft prop balancing tool

Getting close on both no.2 and no.3, but still no clear winner. I'm still waiting for a neander (galoot) to pop up and bag no. 3......

Scrit

I reasoned that you can adjust the distance from the little anvil for differnt diameter's, the 2 adjustable rods look like they can be set up to stop the blade sagging, the cone centre and anvil are about level???? Spring loaded chisel in the anvil support????

A tool to MAKE large circular saw blades, punch out teeth with a sledge hitting the anvil end???

All right, I give in on no.3 - it is a saw setting anvil as the rubber mallet (not shown) is held in the hand and yused too strike the anvil (at the left) is spring loaded. These machines were derived from the commercial setting jigs used in Sheffielf and were in use from at least 1830 onwards.

Still waiting for a definitive on no.2, although we're very warm....

Scrit

no 2 is a template following tool for a pin router
however it could be a very early "legacy" model no 00001

Back