The Olympic site

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the site I remember from 1947 when I regularly visited Stratford railway sheds. I used to get on a train at Palace Gates with my mates travel to Stratford Low Level station, alight wait until the train left the station for Woolwich and then we would go off the platform along the railway line, under the bridge which carried the main line of the LNER and then enter the Stratford engine sheds. There would be upto 500 engines numbers to collect on a good day. Never got chased out once, even used to climb in the scrapped engines and finish them off for the wreckers.

At the time and some years later we never would have imagined what was to become of this most miserable and depressing landscape and its future.

The arrow heads display the route taken from that low level station.

early stratford.jpg

The google map of the site today the 28th July, 2012.

oly site stratford1.jpg

The opening ceremony was good but lacking in a description by the broadcaster in what being depicted at times.

Attachments

• early stratford.jpg
    early stratford.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 687
  • oly site stratford1.jpg
    oly site stratford1.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 704
The commentators included one Trevor Nelson, a radio one dj who didn't really have much to say except for when there was something to do with fashion, eg, "the Italians are all wearing Armani".............pillock, who said he was qualified to do that job? well at least it wasn't 'Sir' Terry Wogan mumbling on under his breath so that you can't hear him, how does someone get knighted for sitting down and endlessly talking into a microphone and getting paid very handsomely to boot?

good stuff DW

i have marked red is where i went to college a few years back.

adidat

Attachments

• oly site stratford1.jpg
    oly site stratford1.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 547
andersonec":2u41087k said:
The commentators included one Trevor Nelson, a radio one dj who didn't really have much to say except for when there was something to do with fashion, eg, "the Italians are all wearing Armani".............pillock, who said he was qualified to do that job? well at least it wasn't 'Sir' Terry Wogan mumbling on under his breath so that you can't hear him, how does someone get knighted for sitting down and endlessly talking into a microphone and getting paid very handsomely to boot?

Maybe because it's a reflection on his charity work?

Latest posts

Back