The Move is ON!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heres what I found! Packing timber into small "packets" helps - held together by parcel tape. To stop the tape getting sticky gunge everywhere, I used masking tape (low tack) wrapped around a few times to provide a insulation against the glue off the parcel tape.

I built a lifting "frame" for the Planer Thicknesser with "lift here" labels on it, so they wouldn't pick it up by the ends of the beds.

Wrap and tape all mains cables/plugs securely to the machine, so they don't catch as they go through door ways.

The drill press, I used a scrap of wood to wedge the head unit to the table to ensure everything stayed completed rigid.

Check they don't use the machines as "tables" and pile loads of junk on inside the truck. Mine ended up getting a seperate van just for the machines. Some items are more susceptable - your planer for example.

Label every last item that goes into a box, on the sides (preferably opposite ones if possible), as you end up opening every box (DAMHIKT) looking for some small useful widget you need. Tis no good labelling the top, when its 3 boxes high, you can't see whats in the bottom two boxes.

Keep offering tea to the removals guys! I explained all about the workshop equipment before they started, and they decided to move it last, so that I'd be able to direct how and where each machine should be carried.

Good luck! And (presuming) you've got removals men, let them do the hard work!

Adam

Thanks Neil!
Andy, it is slightly bigger-and with windows so I get some natural light!!
Adam
Many thanks-you obviously are speaking from experience :lol:
I am renting my own tail-lift van for the workshop move. I don't trust others with moving my machinery, etc. Cue bad dream of jointer being lifted by beds, etc..... :shock:
Another day of packing and were off. :?
Wish me luck,
Philly :D

Have you considered hiring one of these from HSS? They make life a lot easier!

Electric pallet trucks

70233.jpg

Electric sack carts - climbs stairs!

70493.jpg

These things are the business - tracked stairclimbers - I know you've got a tail lift - but even so, this does save the back!!

70495.jpg

You'll be exhausted by the end of the day!

Adam

Best of luck with the move and may the gods of calm go with you :)
Ps may you not hear any funny cracking noises :wink:

Adam
Thank goodness I can back the van up to my garage door at both ends of the journey! As all my machinery is on mobile bases it should be relatively straight forward (setting myself up to be proven wrong :roll: )
Have also roped in a workmate to halp with the lifting and also do any necessary plumbing work :wink:
Cheers
Who is getting a bit excited now :shock:

Not a problem Philly as before i moved in to the house we are in at the moment , I moved about 6 times in 3-4 years:shock: ( 22- 25 ) so I dont wish moving on anyone.
Unless you are moving to a bigger workshop, whioch from what I have read, I think you are :mrgreen: :)

Thanks, Gents!
Have hired a 7.5 ton truck to carry the workshop-picking it up tomorrow night :D
Camera is at the ready (and the kettle and tea bags set aside ready, Waka :wink: )
Cheers

Have hired a 7.5 ton truck to carry the workshop

Not bad, you'll do it in half a dozen trips then :D

Best of luck with it - I'm just back from the solicitor deailing with my impending move, I'll let on that I could get the existing workshop inside the new one three times!!!! More to follow when the paperwork gets done

Les

Phill

Good luck today, and may the weather be with you

So you when your back on-line (hopefully with lots of pics)

Update!!
We are in! All went fairly smoothly and have almost finished un-packing. Nearly :lol:
The new workshop should be well suitable, all machinery is in place and once the racking and shelves are up I can get the tools back in. Need the electrician in first to put in some new circuits for the big saws.
I'm fairly well exhausted (and missing my broadband connection!!!) but will get some photo's posted soon.
Have a good weekend,

Well congratulations to you and yours! That seems from my vantage point to have gone well--but then, I wasn't there :lol:

Take care, Mike
awaiting pics of the shop...well, and some of the house would be ok...

Good luck with the move, and dont forget the the LSS "Life Support System", the BEER!

Phil
:D :D :D :D :D

Back