The Monthly 'Which Table Saw' Post

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeybiter

Established Member
Reaction score
So I'm going to sort out my workshop, make some space and ultimately enlarge, and I've decided it's time to upgrade from my cheap and cheerful Screwfix [Ferm?] table saw, as a birthday/Christmas present from SWMBO 8) .

I'd initially been admiring the Ax' TS200, but after reading a few posts on here I decided to stretch SWMBO's budget a little, and have a look on eBay for all these bargains everyone talks about. I started looking at a couple of Kity 419's and then a SIP 01332 which looked nice and solid, but lacked the sliding table of the Kity.

So now, I somehow find myself with a budget of around £1000, trying to decide between a Jet JTS-600 at approx £950 [with delivery] and a SIP 01332 plus the slide for approx £1100. :?

So seeing as you lot have been mentally greasing my slope, I think you should give me a few opinions on why one machine is better than the other. :wink:

Also if you can think of any fitting alternatives I would be grateful. It's a lot of money to me, and I'm looking for something that will last me a lot of years [fairly careful use, not constant hammer].

Thanks for wading through my ramblings at the end of a night shift. :oops:

Thats easy, get the axy version of the sip which is in some ways a better machine. Its £800 or so including the sliding table. Do a search Ed an someone else recently bought it.

I use an axminster aw10bsb2 10 inch saw with a sliding table. Cost was around £900 delivered. Its a brilliant saw but i dont think axminster sell them anymore.
I'v typed the code in the axminster site and it wont recognise it and the saw isn't in the usual saw table section..

Anyone know if they still sell it?

Have a serious look at the new Charnwood W650. It's had some very good reviews in the press (Andy King of this parish) and is my table saw of choice...available from Yandles btw, where I saw it in April, muchly impressed - Rob

To add my two penneth,

I had one of the first SIP 01332 10" cast iron table saws when they first started selling them. I gave it four years hard work before upgrading to the larger SIP 12" 01446 Cast iron saw.

I sold the 10" to a friend who runs a shed making company and he has been using it for the last couple of years.

In a nutshell both the saws have been excellent and considering all the hard work they have both done neither have let me down and I would highly recommend them to anyone.

Only advice would be to throw away the tct blade it comes with and fit a decent CMT or similar to bring the performance in line with much more expensive machines.

tom owens":17i2pqkt said:
I use an axminster aw10bsb2 10 inch saw with a sliding table. Cost was around £900 delivered. Its a brilliant saw but i dont think axminster sell them anymore.
I'v typed the code in the axminster site and it wont recognise it and the saw isn't in the usual saw table section..

I've just had a look on their site, the 12" version is not showing either?

If your mrs has gone from £300 to £900 i'd keep hold of her :lol:
Get the Jet.
Don't forget its only one piece of a workshop.

If your mrs has gone from £300 to £900 i'd keep hold of her

Don't worry, until she learns to get out of handcuffs she's stuck with me :twisted:

Thanks for all the advice so far. The aw10bsb2 had escaped me, and it has disappeared from the site. The Google cache shows it was there just 6 weeks ago. I've emailed them in case there's any way to get hold of one because it looks to be exactly what I'm after.

Seeing as they've probably all gone I will most likely end up with the SIP 01332. It seems like it would be a pretty good second choice.

No, I was agreeing with you, sorry about the misunderstanding. :oops:

Roy.

Thats OK Roy,

I have a number of the SIP cast range and value for money you cannot beat them - My heavy duty morticer has been great as with the saws.

I would have no problem recommending the SIP Saws or Morticer.

Dodge

monkeybiter":319b1ble said:
If your mrs has gone from £300 to £900 i'd keep hold of her

Don't worry, until she learns to get out of handcuffs she's stuck with me :twisted:

Thanks for all the advice so far. The aw10bsb2 had escaped me, and it has disappeared from the site. The Google cache shows it was there just 6 weeks ago. I've emailed them in case there's any way to get hold of one because it looks to be exactly what I'm after.

Seeing as they've probably all gone I will most likely end up with the SIP 01332. It seems like it would be a pretty good second choice.

If Axminster can still supply you with one you can come and have a look at mine before you buy just incase. Donny's about an hour away from me..

Shane":1cwkxpab said:
tom owens":1cwkxpab said:

I've just had a look on their site, the 12" version is not showing either?

Be a shame if they have stopped because there a good accurate saw.

tom owens":1ik7cgt1 said:
If Axminster can still supply you with one you can come and have a look at mine before you buy just incase. Donny's about an hour away from me..

That's a great offer, thanks and I'll keep it in mind.

Had a slight panic there. Having called in to the Axminster Store at High Wycombe on my way to the D&M tool show just to inspect this saw and measure it up, it suddenly seemed I had missed the boat. :x

Seems it's all okay though. I phoned Axminster this morning and the saw is still available for order. They are out of stock until the end of the year but it is not being discontinued.

In fact it seems that the reason it is currently not showing on the website is that from the beginning of next year it will be available to purchase both as the combined saw and sliding table currently offered, or you will be able to purchase the saw and the sliding table separately. So new part numbers need to be allocated to update the site.

It was an expensive phone call though. The guy on the phone was so helpful it seemed churlish not to order one. :D

I've just got up and checked my emails, reply from Axminster :D

As stated by Hobbyshop the new lineup will be basic saw, RH table extension, sliding table, or full setup with both extras included.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone.

Back