Table Saw Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hd23

Reaction score
Hi

Hoping for some advice - was looking for a new blade for my table saw, which is one of the numerous Kity 419 clones (it’s not an axminster ts200 although it’s the same saw, but without going to the unit to look I’m unsure whether is a Fox or Charnwood etc.

I did think I sorted myself out and ordered a couple of Freud 200mm x 30mm blades (1 rip 1 fine), but haven‘t paid attention to the blade thickness and they are too thin for the arbour so the sawplate washer doesnt snug up against the blade when tightening it.

The saw is hardly a monster when it comes to power so if there’s a way to use a finer kerf blade then I’m sure it will help.

Are there any obvious options for using the blades (some form of spacer washer to take up the slack and potentially fabricating a slightly thinner riving knife?).

Or is the best bet to try and return or sell these blades, if so can any one steer me in the direction of suitable blades? Have looked at Axminster - their blades are even thinner kerf than these Freud ones...

Cheers

Do you have any callipers to measure the thickness of the current blade, both the body of th3 blade and the kerf?

The blade plate thickness needs to be matched to your riving knife. The riving knife will be slightly thinner than the saw plate it’s designed to operate with. So, unless you change the riving knife, the answer is no, do not use the blades.

The old blade measures 3.2mm kerf, 2.2mm plate. These Freud blades are 2.4mm kerf, 1.6mm plate.

Thanks for the advice - have braved the cold and been to the unit today and had another look. Turns out the sawplate washer has two alignment pins, one of which is longer than other and presumable the holes have depths to match, so the issue with arbour was resolved simply by rotating the washer 180 degrees.

So that just leaves the riving knife issue. Have removed the existing one and measured it with my digital callipers at 2.35mm. Am guessing that’s a bit close to the 2.4mm kerf of the new blades. Happy to fabricate a new one since I’ve still had very little joy finding suitable alternative blades. Am thinking 2mm steel should be a reasonable midpoint between the kerf and the saw plate?

Back