The Monkey Puzzle - Araucaria araucana

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaWoodster

Established Member
Reaction score
10"x8" Green log of Monkey Puzzle, any advice from experience in turning this wood?

Hk3NGFY.jpg

Obviously, the bark and the sticky residue is sh*t to work with.

The wood itself isn't very special, but for softwood it's good to work with, there's no extreme difference in hardness between the dark and the lighter parts as happens with pine, for example. It didn't shrink that much on drying - so perhaps these spectacular end-wood bowls with branches all around are indeed possible?

I once turned some as a special favor to an ex-tree owner, but I won't go collecting the stuff.

Dalboy":1lqu7ih2 said:
Blister":1lqu7ih2 said:
Safest thing to do is send it to me :lol: 8) then you won't get wet or injured :wink:

Darn it you beat me to it :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i must pop in for a cuppa and measure yours for future harvesting (hammer)

Steve

It's horrendous to turn, i tried it once, never again. Lathe and all my tools (and me) covered in gluey sap. My bit was well seasoned and very difficult to get a clean finish, have seen people soaking it in various different concoctions to make it easier to turn.

SteveF":1inqchqh said:
Dalboy":1inqchqh said:
Blister":1inqchqh said:
Safest thing to do is send it to me :lol: 8) then you won't get wet or injured :wink:

Darn it you beat me to it :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:
i must pop in for a cuppa and measure yours for future harvesting (hammer)

Steve

Still not big enough Steve and as for the cuppa you are welcome anytime

A friend of mine has an incredible piece turned from this - a large lampshade, turned thin enough to see the light through it, and with the 'knots' forming a lovely circle of circles around the perimeter.

If I could ever become even 10% as skillful in turning as whoever made it, I'd be a happy chappy.

Mind you, I have yet to turn my first piece, until that happens I remain at 0% skill level - but all being well a small lathe should be mine in the next few weeks.

OK, I have a piece that is about 10years dried (ex - Westonbirt) and have never been described as a shrinking violet so to what extent is body armour and a wet suit really required?
I will probably only ever turn one piece so if it makes a mess then so be it but I've seen some amazing turnings so any practical advice would be really welcome.

Back