The life and times of a setting out rod

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stimpi

Established Member
Reaction score
Every time a project comes to an end there is a time for reflection, what would I have done differently or, I am glad that’s over or can’t wait to start the next one. Usually its having a big tidy up, clearing the waste, short ends and the like, inspecting the tools and having a sharpen up before putting them back in their place.

In this process there is the constant moving about of certain items because they are in the way such as those bits of ply or that setting out rod. Are they really large enough to be useful? Can I use that rod again, a bit of sanding, a coat of white primer?

I have recently completed a set of cupboard doors for under a staircase and brought back kit from London to Sussex and started the tidy up process when a voice rings out all sweetness and light. “I have a job for you, I need a large planter.”

The setting out rod.
20140514_161421.jpg

Same Rod different life as for a new gate

DSCN5173.JPG

Cut up into strips

Screwed together a bit like a coffin

Bit+of+a+coffin.jpg

So to make it less coffin like a bit of decoration is in order which is good way to involve the grandchildren,
A fun time sorting out what to decorate it with, to which sunflowers were decided upon. A search of the internet made and then deciding which image would be best and how many sunflowers needed. One granddaughter wanted the rainbow but was out voted.

Some of the selection

pictures.jpg

Bits of ply from forming the staircase panels.

Waste+ply.jpg

The selected image drawn on to the ply well within the capabilities of my 15 year old grand daughter

sketched+out.jpg

Three were made and cut up into sections. I did the cutting into sections and the girls enjoyed gluing them together. I also did sanding of the edges as the girls were worried they would damage their nails, but it was still good fun.

In+bits.jpg

When all stuck back together a good time again in the painting

Sunflowers1.jpg

And then gluing and screwing to the planter

Finished+Articlejpg.jpg

So ends the final chapter in the Life and Times of a Setting Out Rod.

I have learned something yet again.

I zoomed in on all of the photographs but couldn't see a rod. A quick internet search explained everything. :)

Latest posts

Back