The first step of a long journey...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sunnybob

wysiwyg
Reaction score
...to becoming a master bladesmith. :oops: :cool:
My half metre piece of 8670 steel has arrived. Along with a lump of brass for cross guard and pommel. Cant get either on the island. But family are here now so I wont be able to do anything till september, except draw some shapes on it.

Attachments

• IMG_2985.JPG
    IMG_2985.JPG
    4.1 MB · Views: 32
Last edited:
You might have to wash it a few times before the knife gets tested. 🤪
I looked for one of those T shirts, but I need an XL going on XXL, and I could only find them for tiddlers.:cry:

How annoying. I dont like long T shirts that should really be called night shirts. They should only come low enough to tuck in if its cold or leave out if its warm. According to their charts, i need an L width and an XXXS length. And of course, they dont make them that size.

How annoying. I dont like long T shirts that should really be called night shirts. They should only come low enough to tuck in if its cold or leave out if its warm. According to their charts, i need an L width and an XXXS length. And of course, they dont make them that size.

Next project a rack?

Pete

Oh, sorry, vodka tiffin has slowed me down, you mean medieval rack to make me fit the shirt. OOOPS.

...to becoming a master bladesmith. :oops: :cool:
My half metre piece of 8670 steel has arrived. Along with a lump of brass for cross guard and pommel. Cant get either on the island. But family are here now so I wont be able to do anything till september, except draw some shapes on it.

Best of luck with this Sunny Bob. It is great fun. I did a knife making course for two weeks in Japan (two courses in different years) and a few days with Will Catcheside in Herefordshire (which was hard work and brilliant). My abiding impression is of spending hours and hours and hours grinding the blades on a succession of big, wide linisher belts (Will) or on giant, slow water cooled grindstones (Japan). In both cases we were making Damascus steel first: lots of folding and the luxury of power hammers.

If I ever get to retire I might take up artisan Damascus knife making as a hobby / side business.

Start collecting wood now for knife handles. (Mike G will know what I am on about).

It is perfectly possible to make super high quality knives with a cheap forge set up and an old oven. Please do a thread showing us how you get on.

Adrian

Adrian,
I will take pics. Most of them will be of my mistakes.

This is a fun exercise for me. If i end up with a usable knife I will be more surprised than anybody.
I picked the easiest steel, all I have to do is cut and grind (ALL?). and then a very basic heat treat. Its not even going to be a working knife, more of a "thats not a knife" thing.
I have a very nice selection of woods. So many that I might make swappable handles.
At the moment, favourite is thermally modified rippled sycamore. But I have similarly treated ash, with bubinga and teak in reserve. I'm not going to mention MikeG's 100 year old bog oak because he might get big headed. :rolleyes:
I'm thinking scales rather than hidden tang. with a big brass assymetrical guard and pommel
But that could change at any moment.

Back