The dial caliper's fourth dimension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, Pete

I didn't know that! thanks for passing it on.

Pete

I need to get a dial caliper. the digital ones just don't feel the same.

Applies to most reasonable quality vernier calipers not just the dial variety.

Easier to reference than the depth end protrusion on some tasks.

I say reasonable, I would check very cheap market stall pocket versions to make sure.

I've given up on my digital one - in an unheated workshop the batteries don't last long and the readings are all over the place. Always use a dial one now.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Lee J":3m8gj7bp said:
I need to get a dial caliper. the digital ones just don't feel the same.

Certainly easier to read than a Standard vernier caliper and more than accurate enough at a quick glance for wood work.

But the Digital versions are certainly easier on the brain cells when it comes to converting metric to imperial.

I'll look for a metric version as I can work in both inches and mm's but I just find mm's easier to work with.

What sort of price would I be looking at for a decent set? £30 ?

Hi, Paul

I was having problems with mine, until I noticed a depression in the lid foam caused by the on/off button, cutting a square out solved the problem completely.

Pete

Racers":1z24qlhd said:
Hi, Paul

I was having problems with mine, until I noticed a depression in the lid foam caused by the on/off button, cutting a square out solved the problem completely.

Pete

Thanks, Pete, I'll try that.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

I'm not convinced by his example of measuring the diameters of some dowelling and some test holes - I'd have just tried the dowel in the hole to see how well it fitted. No numbers needed!

AndyT":2b8dx5a6 said:
I'm not convinced by his example of measuring the diameters of some dowelling and some test holes - I'd have just tried the dowel in the hole to see how well it fitted. No numbers needed!

I did something quite similar recently while making a rounded cut-out on the inside of a wooden clamp to go around a pole. The pole was attached to my girlfriend's desk upstairs, and I doubt she'd have appreciated me lugging the bandsaw and sanding stuff up to the study to constantly test-fit!

JakeS":bcsta861 said:
AndyT":bcsta861 said:

I did something quite similar recently while making a rounded cut-out on the inside of a wooden clamp to go around a pole. The pole was attached to my girlfriend's desk upstairs, and I doubt she'd have appreciated me lugging the bandsaw and sanding stuff up to the study to constantly test-fit!

Fair point! Sometimes measurements are needed!

I just popped over to Highland Hardware's website and they only list the six inch caliper now ($30.) No more four inch model I guess. Bummer, since the four inch is my go-to.

mn pete":1mcezzmc said:
I just popped over to Highland Hardware's website and they only list the six inch caliper now ($30.) No more four inch model I guess. Bummer, since the four inch is my go-to.

Oh pipper another caliper to buy #-o Don't tell the wife :eek: :eek:

the 4" ones arent common- i just had a quick look online, and moore and wright, starrett et al start at 6", and the motutoyo one is £££ (or $$$)!

Yeah.. Brilliant. Also if you turn it through 90 degrees you can use the stem of the gauge as a straight edge. And the actual gauge as a circular radius setter, presuming of course your circle exactly matches the radius of your dial

It's almost limitless in its utility

A friend of mine was able to mount it in a crossbow and use as a slingshot to slay his estranged dragon. Its uses really are endless :)

Latest posts

Back