The computers have taken over... official.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So much for my best guess.
It didnt go to Salerno,
Its just turned up in Athens.

This really is an all europe road trip.

Its on the move again.

Logically, it should get on a plane now to Larnaca. Then road west to the depot at Limassol, then east to my friends house, and finally north to its new home.
But I gave up on logical when it left Milan by road.
Due date is friday though, so heres hoping....

I'm thinking of calling the local newspaper...

But the camera will definitely be there. I am a bit concerned about the number of times its been on and off loaded, Lets hope axminster packs stuff well. It would be heartbreaking if it was damaged after all this.

confusion has now set in.

The tracking site reads "connection delay, recovery actions underway" but I have just had a phone call from a very nice lady who told me its on island and they will deliver tomorrow.

this was a very nice lady indeed, I explained that TNT UK wouldnt listen about my actual address, and in an accented voice that many men would fantasise over (me included) , she said fully understood and agreed to deliver (the package) direct to my house.

I'm not sure whether to be happy or anxious.
oh, and that %£&" Fox is out of my workshop, so yes, I'm happy. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Momentous news. Its HERE!

TNT Cyprus were far more obliging than TNT UK. Got to my house at midday (without having to cross any borders!). Guy wouldnt let me help, took it off the truck with a palletiser, and wheeled it over about 8 foot of rough broken ground to my garage drive.

Full Marks to TNT Cyprus.
TNT UK.... not so much.

Packaging was in perfect condition, laid down and crated in plywood on a pallet. and then plastic wrapped and banded.
Full marks to aminster export dept.

But then the trouble started.

Unpacking and assembling found a few problems. Minor, but still annoying.

It appears I have an ex showroom model, no signs of actually being used, but I dont think that was its original "from the factory" box as the machine wasnt fixed down in any way and the wrapping of the parts is fairly slapdash. Not a big issue as such, but it wasnt mentioned in the deal.

i'm waiting back on axminster on one in particular item that is stopping me installing the table. Maybe someone here will know.

On the body of the machine are the two curves that the table tilt mechanism slides in. In the middle of the right hand curve is an allen bolt. Its proud of the curve, and finger loose. Its not mentioned in the book, and I dont know its purpose or if it should proud or sunken, tight or loose?
Anybody?

The original box would have been intended for china to UK, even further than my most travelled bandsaw went.

Frustration setting in. The answer from axminster for that bolt doesnt make sense. I've asked for a better one. I have to quit for tonight and I havent plugged it in.

Bob, if there's still enough of that sunshine to take a photo or two, I'm sure the collective brainpower of your sympathetic forum followers will work out what the odd bolt is for. We want you to enjoy that bandsaw!

AndyT":3o09vpca said:
Bob, if there's still enough of that sunshine to take a photo or two, I'm sure the collective brainpower of your sympathetic forum followers will work out what the odd bolt is for. We want you to enjoy that bandsaw!

OK heres the pic.
IMG_1484_zpswfgflevd.jpg

The allen bolt is the offending item.
It was slightly proud, and finger loose.
Axminsters answer is it takes the pressure off the table adjusting bolt when tightened.
but thats a non starter. As you can see, its dead centre of the track. it goes into the groove of the table adjusting trunnion.
If tightened down, it goes below the surface (pointless). If left proud, it goes in the groove of the adjusting bolt (also pointless). Its not even wide enough to be a guide for the trunnion.

I cant see a purpose.

The bolt is part #149 in the parts diagram. It's described (in Chinglish) as "Six angle locking nail M6X10". I think that means it's there as a tilt stop, as I can see no other purpose..

Personally, I'd check off anything you currently have left over from the assembly against the list in the back of the manual. It's most probably all there...

http://www.axminster.co.uk/media/downlo ... manual.pdf

The above is for the HBS350N but I'd expect they're all pretty similar. I've a feeling you said which one you bought, but I couldn't find it in this thread.

E.

PS: Speaking as a technical writer, I think Axminster are slipping a bit: That manual hasn't been properly sub-edited at all - the parts list is complete nonsense in places. For example, there is a part (a nut, I think) called "take"! Their standards for documentation used to be extremely high, but this one isn't.

You seem to have found out more than axminster.
heres the copied reply I received.

The Hex head in the trunnion is to counteract the downward force from the tightening screw and maintain a level on the bed, it is slack when not under compression and can be adjusted. It isn't in our manuals either but apparently this is it's purpose.

You can see why I'm confused. There is no downward force on that bolt. Unless thats another lost in translation phrase.

I think I'll just leave it out till I see a use for it.

I had an old 350, sold it a few years ago and there was a bolt in the underside of the table that met the bolt in your photograph to form a stop so that your table will not tilt past horizontal. If the idea is that the bolt in your photo acts as a stop then there needs to be a corresponding bolt in the underside of the table?

sunnybob":192nq58x said:
I think I'll just leave it out till I see a use for it.

Bob, talking to the guys at Axminster they said this model will soon be getting quite a major upgrade. Larger machined table, better motor, micro-adjust fence, ceramic guides, beefier tension spring, and quite a few other enhancements.

Maybe your mystery bolt is part of that process?

Only joking! Hope you and your new bandsaw do loads of great work together :D

The outside of the box has a "MARK 2" sticker.
maybe I have the newer version.
I've just been out to buy some hose for the extraction, so I'll get it all finished today.
Theres a huge bolt at the rear of the table that is obviously the horizontal adjuster, so I shall just ignore this little one.

Well its all assembled. That bolt does nothing that I can see.

Have to admit I didnt think it would take me an entire day to assemble and adjust, but I had to modify the extraction ducts from 4" down to 62mm so that took a while. At least now I have very good knowledge of the entire machine.

Tools supplied arent enough, and its time someone revisted the ordering on them as they supplied a slot screwdriver when everything is posidrive.
Bottom blade guides are not easy to adjust, silly saving as the top guides are much better.

Looks the business, just need a warming cup of coffee and I shall go back out to actually cut a piece of wood to check the fence alignment.

Latest posts

Back