The Birmingham way

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devonwoody

Established Member
Reaction score
After nearly three months of absence from the workshop owing to the very unpleasant spell of winter weather this year I returned to woodwork.
The temperature is now a respectable 15c and the humidity is dropping to below 70% also the working muscles have been seizing up owing to lack of activity.

temphumidityw.jpg

The first job was to replace these two old plastic tubs with a wooden planter designed to accommodate the slope.

oldtubsw.jpg

Therefore a piece of 9x2" (rescued from a skip) was put to the Triton workcentre which has become my ripsaw tool again after two attempts at using those Chinese type cast iron table saws.

ripsome9x2w.jpg

The band saw was then put through its paces, (I only remembered to release the wheel tension last week after the three months on its full tension) so I used the marking gauge and run down both sides of the timber looking for a centreline and created a trenching line around 2 mm. The timber is just over 4" depth and to my satisfaction the band saw sliced this wood perfectly, it didn't deviate once from the centre line on it cutting length of around 1 metre. So I reckon the blade had been stretched nice and straight on its rested period.

resawthe4x2w.jpg

The boards after being cut on the bandsaw.

lovelycutw.jpg

The planter was then put together the Birmingham way and now awaiting a dry spell to put on the preservative. By the way the temperature has gone down and the humidity is back to 80% today. Ah well at least the muscles have had a work out and not so painful today.

planterfinishedbirminghamwayw.jpg

Good to see you back in action :wink:

two attempts at using those Chinese type cast iron table saws

Too having much luck on the table saw front then DW :cry:

Andy

I was introduced to the Birmingham way by an uncle 60 years ago, he drilled a pilot hole and then inserted a screw which he then whacked in with a Warrington hammer and the last quarter inch he then used a screwdriver. I think at the time I was around 10 years of age and I was very surprised that screw were put in with a hammer and he informed me it was called the Birmingham way.

thats why the estwing is called the "birmingham screwdriver". I use to insert screws that way when first fixing, the treads are only there to help removing them :wink:

Things have changed, honest

LyNx":1jpnttrq said:
thats why the estwing is called the "birmingham screwdriver". I use to insert screws that way when first fixing, the treads are only there to help removing them :wink:

Things have changed, honest

No..no...the proper technique is to tighten the screws sufficiently until they shear and then back off half a turn :lol:

Nifty piece of reclamation, DW. What bandsaw have you got?

devonwoody":17v9rbqy said:
Therefore a piece of 9x2" (rescued from a skip) was put to the Triton workcentre which has become my ripsaw tool again after two attempts at using those Chinese type cast iron table saws.

Just out of curiousity Which two did you try ?

Back