The Ashes returning Home

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's very optimistic Tony, given the current performance of the England team the Ashes might end up in Australia instead! :wink:

V.

I'm glad you people have reminded me to put the wheelie bin out for the ash man in the morning :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink:

seriously, those Bush Tuckers love their sport and tinnies :-s

I know there is still a long way to go but this mornings cricket - so far - has put a smille on my face with a michelle for Monty. What chance he scores a fifty as well?

I do hope England can make a show of it.

Andy

dedee":1ic52io1 said:
What chance he scores a fifty as well?
Andy

That is going a little TOO far old boy!!!! :D

Well done Monty though - made Fletcher / Flintoff (depends which version you believe of who's decision not to play him before) look a bit silly!

Nice to see Harmison coming back into some form.

Lets' just hope the batsmen come to the party as well now!

Gary

Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!

we won, what more can I say!

Tony Ward
Blue Mountains,

Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!
Australia!

I would feel depressed - until I wonder how Australia would have done if they'd had their captain and their most threatening fast bowler last year both injured, one of their opening batsmen ill, their key all-rounder recoving from injury and so forth... Hardly a victory in the face of overwhelming odds.

And before anyone says "whinging poms", can I ask who whinged that England only won 'cos McGrath was injured? :wink:

Yep. it's the taking part that matters - choke.

As an avid armchair follower of many our once great team sports I can't help but think that the lessons of of the Rugby World Cup victory have not been learnt. Can't quite remember the whole quote but the reference to improving 100 things by 1% springs to mind. I can't see that England improved in any area since their Ashes win last year..

The utter dedication and attention to detail of Woodward's team must teach the managers/coaches of our football and cricket team something.

I remember reading that the German football team in 2002, I think, went to great lengths to ensure that their practice pitch was exactly the same size and made of the same grass as that used in the final. It is that level of preparation and belief (almost arrogance) that helps to install a confident and winning mentality.

The ECB could not even find a way to transport Merlyn (the bowling machine that enabled our batsman to practice Warne like deliveries between tests in 2005) to and around Australia. Apparently it is too heavy & would be too expensive to transport.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket ... 050516.stm says it all really.

Andy

Andy

Flippin heck Andy, that machine doesn't look all that big. I assume that the man is putting balls in the top. Transporting it to Perth or Brisbane may be tricky but I would have thought that Adelaide, Melbourne, & Sydney could be done by road and there must be someone with a horse box in Aussie who would do it for a small fee.

Oh well, I think I'll just go back and edit my earlier post from "That doesn't mean the Aussies are going to get the Ashes back" to "That does mean the Aussies are going to get the Ashes back" :lol: :lol:

That'll show you all how good I am at forecasting test match results :wink:

Ah, two bonus (2) days off ~ time to spend time with the family, go to the beach, play golf, go fishin, do some woodwork perhaps????

What would you, my English friends, be doing?

Now onto the 5th - Sydney with predictions of rain, if it does rain it will be most welcome!

Now to getting on with making bandsawn boxes!

And now onto the One Day Series.

One of the questions that will be answered in time is "Will the "b" army be there?"

Well done to the England side of forming a honour guard to Justin Langer as he walked to the pitch for the last time!

Close in the end wasn't it?

Can't quite imagine how many England players will have regained fitness just in time to get injured before the start of the 2009 series.

If only England could string two good days together. If only the tail could bat. If only the bowlers could bowl and if only the 'keeper could catch and bat they might just have a chance.

Andy

I just don't want to talk about. I shall live in the pepetual bliss of the Greatest Ashes DVD and pretend we don't play cricket any more. :lol:

Without wishing to stir the pot but may I please ask why England are so rubbish at most things these days? I'm obviously talking about cricket, rugby and football. Is it the governing bodies (ie they haven't got a clue and get paid too much)? Lack of developement at grass roots level? Or what? I'm assuming there is a reason...

Back