The Anarchist's Tool Chest - A Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JohnPW":3t40dr50 said:
There's more to the use of the word "Anarchist" in the title than a wish to be eye-catching. In the book he makes it quite clear that he's not referring to what we in the UK and Europe usually understand by the term i.e. an extremely radical political movement. He uses it to refer to an attempt to break the cycle of consume, throw away and consume again, something which is pushed by big business: sell something which is barely fit for purpose, in the knowledge that it will break down/fall apart after a while and then sell the replacement. In his view, to make furniture or to use tools which will last for a century or more is to break the cycle of endless consumption.

Again I ask, when has this ever been an issue with small shop woodworkers -- amateur or small shop professional furnituremakers? Is the book intended for the CEO of Ikea or Ikea's customers? It doesn't make sense. It's a nonsensical rant given the book's intended audience. If he thinks this book is making some wider social statement or impact he really is full of himself.

JohnPW":1080xr42 said:
There's more to the use of the word "Anarchist" in the title than a wish to be eye-catching. In the book he makes it quite clear that he's not referring to what we in the UK and Europe usually understand by the term i.e. an extremely radical political movement. He uses it to refer to an attempt to break the cycle of consume, throw away and consume again, something which is pushed by big business: sell something which is barely fit for purpose, in the knowledge that it will break down/fall apart after a while and then sell the replacement. In his view, to make furniture or to use tools which will last for a century or more is to break the cycle of endless consumption.

All the more reason to object to the title! Why not called it "The Sustainable Tool Chest", "The Anti-Consumerist's Tool Chest" or "The Anti-Capitalist's Tool Chest" if that's what he really means, instead of misusing a word just to grab attention.
Not when he's discussing a specifically American brand of anarchism. He describes Josiah Warren's experiment with the Cincinnati Time Store (google it as it makes quite interesting reading). Should you overcome your aversion to the title and read the book there is a fair possibility that you will modify your opinion.

CStanford":1vvvt174 said:
JohnPW":1vvvt174 said:

Again I ask, when has this ever been an issue with small shop woodworkers -- amateur or small shop professional furnituremakers? Is the book intended for the CEO of Ikea or Ikea's customers? It doesn't make sense. It's a nonsensical rant given the book's intended audience. If he thinks this book is making some wider social statement or impact he really is full of himself.
It seems fairly clear to me that the books is aimed at beginners. Much of what he describes is simply uneconomical for professionals. He's quite clear in one part that it is amateurs who are best placed to keep the traditions of hand work alive. I'm sure there are many criticisms of the book one can make but "nonsensical rant" is not one of them. There is nothing ranting in its tone whatsoever.

Perhaps not, but the title itself is inflammatory.

I'm about to go out to the shop and rebel against the tyranny of .... something. Maybe we can all kill the big furniture manufacturers and wanton consumerists off -- a death by millions of tiny cuts. Every time I cut a dovetail, somebody somewhere with a houseful of plywood curb furniture lets out a little yelp.

Otherwise, if anybody needs plans for a traditional woodworker's tool chest free of political/social diatribe Bernard Jones' The Practical Woodworker has a very complete set of them. The rest of the book isn't too shabby either. A quality tool chest done reasonably well really isn't a beginner's project, IMO.

I think that if the main problem that you have with a book is a slightly misjudged title, then maybe its your problem and not a problem generally?

It is a good book, and as I have said before it prevented me from going down the road of expensive tools that are potentially unnecessary for me.

Personally after looking at what I have made, the sense of accomplishment is always greater when I have utilised hand tools to a greater degree. That's what it's all about in the end for me, enjoying the process. Many others agree and that's why books and DVD's on the subject prove to be popular still.

To re-iterate what several commenters who have read the book have already said, the book is not political in the slightest. Schwarz does set out how he started woodworking, how he ended up working for the publishers of Popular Woodworking and his tool experiences whilst in that employment, how his basement workshop filled up with machines, power tools, jigs and handtools, how he came to research the old woodworking texts, and how that research eventually led him to clear out the junk and distil his experience and toolkit down to just what he really needed to do what he wanted to do.

I recall reading in Woodworker magazine back in the late '80s and early '90s a series of articles by David Savage entitled 'The Craft of Cabinetmaking'. In one such article, Savage remarked on how few tools a really skilled cabby needed to do his job, but also noted that those tools would be carefully chosen, well tuned and cared for. Schwarz's tool list and advice is really just the same, but reached by a different route - but both are the result of extensive experience.

The book is written in a down-to-earth style (albeit in an American idiom as AndyKev noted - not wholly surprising since Schwarz is American). There's no ranting, just the (sometimes rather rueful) recalling of the string of events that led him to his thoughts and conclusions set out in the book. His advice on tool selection is also informed by long experience and his many mistakes. His advice is not just limited to handtools, but to other workshop necessities such as benches, saw-horses, bench hook, shooting boards and the like.

To those commenting who have not read the book, I strongly commend it. I've read enough woodworking literature over the last three decades to be fairly confident in sorting the wheat from the chaff (and there's a lot of chaff around). As a book for the relative beginner, it could save you a small fortune, and get you doing productive work with decent tools far quicker than you might otherwise (especially if read in conjunction with Robert Wearing's 'The Essential Woodworker'). I wish it had been around thirty years ago when I started. For the experienced woodworker, you maybe have made all the same mistakes, worked it out for yourself by now, and moulded your own woodworking philosophy. Fair enough, but by making sweeping and incorrect assumptions about a book you haven't read, there is some danger of making yourself look a bit of a loadmouthed chump in the eyes of those who have read it.

In conclusion, the review was a fair one. I would heartily endorse AndyKev's recommendation that anybody starting out on the path of home woodworking read this book. Those of us that have been bothering bits of wood for a while also found much of value in it, too.

Nice summing up CC.

What impresses me is the ability to capture peoples thoughts and get people interested. Paul Sellers has a similar skill of drawing people in. That is a good ability to have as it increases the interest in woodworking. Many did that before and after they and we are gone someone will do it again.

Would somebody who owns the book be willing to share a passage or two from the book or perhaps a few tool recommendations or sage advice that they found particularly novel compared to some of the other titles and authors that have been mentioned in this thread?

I don't think this violates any sort of copyright. Book reviewers quote selected passages in their reviews all the time.

Not just an American, but one from the south. I don't think it's book you would want to borrow, rather one that you would want to read and reread. That's high praise from me. He does have a machine list in the book.

CStanford":2lr8mkxd said:
Would somebody who owns the book be willing to share a passage or two from the book or perhaps a few tool recommendations or sage advice that they found particularly novel compared to some of the other titles and authors that have been mentioned in this thread?

I don't think this violates any sort of copyright. Book reviewers quote selected passages in their reviews all the time.

There's a synopsis on this link - http://lostartpress.com/collections/boo ... tool-chest

(PS - If you're not in North America, check the nearest stockist. For example, the UK stockist is Classic Hand Tools.)

Cheshirechappie":1apgoef9 said:
CStanford":1apgoef9 said:

There's a synopsis on this link - http://lostartpress.com/collections/boo ... tool-chest

(PS - If you're not in North America, check the nearest stockist. For example, the UK stockist is Classic Hand Tools.)

I was hoping to read a passage or two that you personally found edifying.

"This book, “The Anarchist’s Tool Chest,” paints a world where woodworking tools are at the center of an ethical life filled with creating furniture that will last for generations. It makes the case that you can build almost anything with a kit of less than 50 high-quality tools, and it shows you how to select real working tools, regardless of their vintage or brand name."

Less than 50 tools? Good Lord, I've been working that way for years. I should have written a book. Don't know about the ethical life bit. I guess that's for others to judge.

"And it will make the argument that building a chest and filling it with the right tools just might be the best thing you can do to save our craft."

Maybe it needs saving, maybe not. Sounds a little treacly and overly dramatic.

CStanford":3exit3fd said:
I was hoping to read a passage or two that you personally found edifying.

You can do. Just buy a copy of the book and read it.

I am not spending a large chunk of my evening typing out sections of somebody else's book just so that another commenter can make snarky remarks about it.

I'm sorry, you're right. Didn't really mean to tweak your nose.

The less than 50 tool thing though, I mean really. I don't think I'm even close. Maybe if you counted individual carving tools - I think I may have fifteen or so, but surely that's not how he's counting the tools that go into the chest.

This guy is way over the limit (but works wood professionally entirely by hand):

http://tonykonovaloff.com/?page_id=48

Just wanted to say that I bought this book some time ago Read it from cover to cover, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Did it change my life or the way I work wood? Probably not, but that made it no less an enjoyable read. As to the author, I have met Chris in person and found him to be an enthusiastic and intelligent fellow woodworker who in my opinion has done more to inspire folks to get out there and get into a workshop and make things for the pure joy of it than anyone else in a long time, and if that's anarchy it gets my vote :lol:

Cheshirechappie":yay061p2 said:
Oh FFS. Just f***ing read it!

I've already said why I won't:

I wouldn't buy or even read this book for several reasons.

First is the title.

Second is if I'm paying for a new book then I would like it to include metric measurements.

Third is, as mentioned, old books by Charles Hayward, Robert Wearing etc will have all the info you need. And in any case, Chris Schwarz probably had to look up stuff in old books and magazines and re-write what he found for his own writings.

4th reason is I prefer to stick to UK woodworking terms.

To answer suggestions it's my loss; I'm a beginner but I don't mind finding out things for myself (reading books, forums etc, watching other people, practicing hand skills etc) , and making mistakes is all part of learning. I normally only buy 2nd hand tools and if there are any duds it's not a big deal and they can be repaired or used for parts. I don't have any power tools or machines and from the start Ihave no interest in buying or using them.

Back