The Anarchist's Tool Chest - A Review

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I for one found this book very helpful. It (along with available funds) prevented me from going down a costly rabbit hole.

This book does also give lists from Charles Hayward, Joeseph Moxon, Randle Holme and Benjamin Seaton for comparison which I found interesting. I am also quite excited to find that Lost Art Press is looking to republish the vast majority of Charles Haywards wiritings soon.

http://blog.lostartpress.com/2015/05/21/the-hayward-project-v-the-blair-witch-project/

I'm looking forward to this mainly because I don't have the time or inclination to buy every copy of The Woodworker Magazine that Hayward wrote for and can't wait for this resource.

I can understand how people who have been at this for decades might feel that a lot of what Schwarz and Co. bring forward is rehashing. I personally wouldn't have started down this road of hand tool woodwork, or even have read Wearing, if it weren't for first reading The Anarchists Toolchest.

Hopefully this post clears up the Lee Valley Blog advert.

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/chris-schwarz-blog/help-blog-help

I have also read this book and found it very useful. I bought a digital copy, much cheaper, although also much easier to delete when you thought you'd made a backup copy but actually hadn't (hammer) !

I don't see how it's possible to do anything else but rehash the old stuff in a more relevant way for a modern audience, especially in a subject like using traditional hand tools, except in the unlikely event of something genuinely novel coming up, or indeed, why that might be a bad thing. I'm sure contemporaries of Charles Hayward could have made the same accusation.

I like the philosophy of tool choice in the book and the reasoning behind it and 'doing it yourself' in general- how that makes it an 'Anarchists' toolchest I'm not sure, I suspect the fact that it's a snappy title that grabs your attention had more to do with it, rather than anything to do with 'Anarchism'.

Personally I don't like his writing style, but that is probably down to cultural differences between me and the audience he is writing for in America, also the irritating modern habit of the authors personality, whether real or assumed, infecting every page of even technical writing. But ultimately the book is not judged on whether I'd like to spend an evening down the pub with him (I suspect I wouldn't) but on how useful it is, definitely worth downloading (again!) for someone like me, who has not had the benefit of an apprenticeship/training/association with people who know what they're doing - haven't made the chest, but I've thought about stuff I wouldn't have before and generally gained from it. Enjoyed his thoughts on workbenchs also - with the same caveat about style, of course.

Cheerio,

Carl

Just to add one minor point, the title seems very clear to me.

In the US, under the influence of Norm Abram and increasing availability of affordable power tools, the conventional approach to woodwork could be seen as needing a big workshop with a lot of machines, the more the better.
Schwarz presents a contrary view - that you don't need all that stuff to do good, satisfying work. Indeed, he says that you don't even need many hand tools - only as many as will fit into one box.

So he is 'breaking the rules' - hence "anarchist". I don't think he's proposing to overthrow the government; he just wanted an eye-catching, pot-stirring title.

Of course, to some UK readers, the title immediately recalls a series of articles in Good Woodworking in the 1990s, written by the late lamented chair maker John Brown, as the " Anarchist Woodworker." The aim of the series was to show how it was possible to set oneself up to do woodwork without any power tools, on a minimal budget. Does that sound familiar? :D

CStanford":2ylvxxyw said:

But, IIRC Schwarz (like most of us) started out with a mostly mechanized operation so a deep and broad list of hand tools was probably not something he was overtly looking for or even wondering much about at the time, despite assertions to the contrary, though I suppose he is owed the benefit of the doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e50vAjaIHs

I'll try to get through it when I'm a little less queasy. The "Woodwhisperer" plus Schwarz is a little too much at the moment. Perhaps someone with a stronger stomach can furnish a synopsis.

On another note, did Jeremy Broun ever finish his Alan Peters documentary? The teaser is still up on YouTube but I can't find the full length video, or a place where it is available for purchase. TIA.

In earlier posts about tool lists I forgot to mention Alan Peters' list in his book Cabinet Making: The Professional Approach. Granted, it's a list of hand tools used in a blended power/hand operation, but still. Don't read it if your bent is chest's worth of tools. I think Alan Peter's hand tool kit would have have fit in a banker's box (cardboard file box in the U.S.). It is audacious in its brevity.

I think Schwarz still uses power tools in his work (never actually stopped), so in point of fact the Peters' list probably is relevant. I could be wrong though. I'm sure a fan of his will correct me if so.

CStanford":5w2gnd31 said:
I'll try to get through it when I'm a little less queasy. The "Woodwhisperer" plus Schwarz is a little too much at the moment. Perhaps someone with a stronger stomach can furnish a synopsis.

On another note, did Jeremy Broun ever finish his Alan Peters documentary? The teaser is still up on YouTube but I can't find the full length video, or a place where it is available for purchase. TIA.

In earlier posts about tool lists I forgot to mention Alan Peters' list in his book Cabinet Making: The Professional Approach. Granted, it's a list of hand tools used in a blended power/hand operation, but still. Don't read it if your bent tends to three full chest's worth of tools. I think Alan Peter's hand tool kit would have have fit in a banker's box (file box in the U.S.).

Charles,

I like what Chris Schwarz has done for woodworking. I may not share his interest in building workbenches (but I did read his books before building mine), or tool chests (I prefer to hang mine on the wall), but anyone with an interest in Campaign Furniture can't be a bad bloke (even if he did not give credit to me starting this fashion a year or so before he did :) ).

Yes, he is in the business of selling books. And he may not be professionally trained as a furniture maker. It is clear that you consider him a pretender. But he has done a considerable amount of good generating interest for many hobbyists in woodworking. And bringing them pleasure and a sense of accomplishment ... Interestingly, he does not take himself as seriously as you seen to take him.

Now on the matter of the Alan Peter documentary by Jeremy Broun ...

I have it. I have long been a fan of Alan's and corresponded briefly with Jeremy when he was completing the video, and when Alan passed. I did try and contact Jeremy about a year ago, but did not receive an answer.

Alan Peters "The Maker's Maker". by Jeremy Broun (DVD 47 minutes)
"Furniture Today" by Jeremy Broun (double DVD 106 min)

Regards from Perth

Derek

Certainly hard not to be a fan of Alan Peters. Glad to hear the Broun DVD is complete. I'll try to lay hands on a copy soon.

To the extent Schwarz reinforces fairly easily stumbled-upon truths he doesn't do much harm.

If you're interested in campaign furniture you need the book below. I've had it a while, though certainly not at the current price(s) being asked on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/British-Campaign- ... +furniture

Charles, tell you what, I'll trade you my DVD on Alan Peter's for that book! :)

It was recommended to me several years ago, but even then cost an arm and a leg.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well, if copies are actually moving at the current prices shown on Amazon I'm going to put it in our safe deposit box when the bank opens Monday morning! I set a mug of hot coffee on it the other day. That won't happen again.

AndyT":2ync6ixl said:

In the US, under the influence of Norm Abram and increasing availability of affordable power tools, the conventional approach to woodwork could be seen as needing a big workshop with a lot of machines, the more the better.
Schwarz presents a contrary view - that you don't need all that stuff to do good, satisfying work. Indeed, he says that you don't even need many hand tools - only as many as will fit into one box.

So he is 'breaking the rules' - hence "anarchist". I don't think he's proposing to overthrow the government; he just wanted an eye-catching, pot-stirring title.

Of course, to some UK readers, the title immediately recalls a series of articles in Good Woodworking in the 1990s, written by the late lamented chair maker John Brown, as the " Anarchist Woodworker." The aim of the series was to show how it was possible to set oneself up to do woodwork without any power tools, on a minimal budget. Does that sound familiar? :D

My bold, and that is why I don't like it!

It's my understanding that Chris Schwarz is not an all-handtool woodworker all of the time. I'm happy to be corrected on this. Is it only the book projects that get done by hand and everything else is knocked out with machines? If so I think it's a fact worth noting.

Norm Abrams certainly used machines but the joints were traditional (if machine made) and sound. He did not make what appeared to my eye to be curb furniture. The reality is that mortise and tenon joints are probably cut more successfully by machine than by hand. Dovetails aren't quite as attractive when jig cut, but they're tight and sound.

John Brown acknowledged using a band saw at his lumber supplier to cut chair parts to rough size. He never quite went 'completely organic' as he urged in some of his writings. He had no power equipment (nor electricity) on premises but it seems a distinction without a difference to me.

I giggle as I write this since my next door neighbor took delivery of what looked to be a vintage Delta Unisaw yesterday. He doesn't know it yet, but WE have a new tablesaw!

I've glanced over lots of workbench builds on the web and most of them, certainly all the USA ones (therefore all the ones connected with Fine Woodworking magazine), were completely made with power tools and machines!

It would seem, then, that the narrative as I understand it surrounding The Anarchist's Tool Chest, is a little contrived when one considers the author's own practices.

If hand tools are so wonderful then why not use them all of the time, period? I mean period. Full Stop. I guess they're wonderful until the sweat starts flowing, the back starts aching, and deadlines start looming. "Well, but, ahem, ahem...." and so on and so forth.

CStanford":2ef2wc8n said:
It would seem, then, that the narrative as I understand it surrounding The Anarchist's Tool Chest, is a little contrived when one considers the author's own practices.

If hand tools are so wonderful then why not use them all of the time, period? I mean period. Full Stop. I guess they're wonderful until the sweat starts flowing, the back starts aching, and deadlines start looming. "Well, but, ahem, ahem...." and so on and so forth.

The Lost Art Press is his mission to promote Hand Tools. He sells books.

https://hocktools.wordpress.com/2012/03 ... s-schwarz/

That doesn't mean he has blinkered vision with tool usage or his workshop must only run via candle-light because some net-numpty has an issue with him...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btl6D7huAo4

Charles, from what I can recall the book has a section machines and recommends bandsaw etc. I can't remember how far it goes as I sold my copy to Toby Tools. Perhaps the Anarchist's Machine Shop could be a nice follow up!

I would never want to be without machines, if I no longer had access to them I'd find a local merchant/joiner/club that could provide wood cut to size and planed as an option. When starting out that is what folks do when buying planed all round pine from the big box stores.

I guess at the end of the day most everybody is a blended woodworker. Nothing new there. The task for writers like Schwarz is to shape-shift enough to appeal to a wide audience. Perhaps his next offering will be a book of tablesaw tips, tricks, and techniques. Oh wait, that's been done to death. Cue the next installment of The Anarchist.

I remember when Garrett Hack put out a couple of books in what seemed like quick succession about hand tools and one specifically about hand planes that a lot of people on the boards at that time thought he did most of his work by hand (a natural assumption when you realize that most of the photos in these books were of his staggering collection, easily enough to outfit three or four all hand tool woodworkers), when quite the converse is the actual truth. Schwarz seems to have (sort of?) ripped a page out of his playbook.

If one chooses to emphasize a portion of a process over another that came before it, it can leave an impression that borders on disingenuous about the depth, breadth, and extent of the process that's being emphasized. And then there's the stuff that happens 'off camera.'

It likely comes down to the simple calculus of another book about tablesaws and bandsaws being a hard sell, and/or wanting to capitalize on the mini-Renaissance in "hand tool woodworking." Dog Bites Man, or Man Bites Dog? Which headline would get your attention?

Simple matter-of-fact woodworking instruction is one thing. What substantially consists of advocacy of AN APPROACH to woodworking, which turns out to be largely illusory in actual fact, is quite another. But then, there's always the next book and by golly it just could be about using a tablesaw.

Weighing the merits of a true scrub vs. a heavily cambered English jack with a vintage 5hp 20" Powermatic planer visible in the background is always good for an arched eyebrow, if not a little chortle. Ditto comparing and contrasting plough planes when the latest Festool with plunging facility is only a few steps away in the tool cabinet. That is at its essence what most of this is boils down to: a parlour (had to throw in the "u") trick for the public and for the sake of book sales (or internet "street cred") and likely not how things get done in private.

After all, we watched Norm build furniture with power tools for a couple decades. No do-overs allowed these days. Unless nobody is watching.

Brand management eventually comes down to making something old new again. Putting a heavy gloss on blended woodworking to the point it actually starts to look like something else is just good brand management, a new box for the same old washing powder.

AndyT":20d7jcyn said:

There's more to the use of the word "Anarchist" in the title than a wish to be eye-catching. In the book he makes it quite clear that he's not referring to what we in the UK and Europe usually understand by the term i.e. an extremely radical political movement. He uses it to refer to an attempt to break the cycle of consume, throw away and consume again, something which is pushed by big business: sell something which is barely fit for purpose, in the knowledge that it will break down/fall apart after a while and then sell the replacement. In his view, to make furniture or to use tools which will last for a century or more is to break the cycle of endless consumption.

Hence my reference in the review to us often bemoaning the fact that they don't make things like they used to. If big firms did make them like they used to, they would soon collapse as their current business models can't cope with that. Smallish firms like Clifton, Lie Nielson and Veritas produce products to old fashioned standards at the kind of price you would expect but that in the long run is cheaper. You can buy a junk tool for a fifth of the price but you'll buy it five times in your lifetime, especially if it is electric.

It's also worth pointing out that, as mentioned above, Schwarz does indeed discuss what he believes to be the most essential power tools for the woodworker who predominantly uses hand tools. In other words he is neither dogmatic nor purist.

Finally, the book describes how he slowly made the realisation that there is a world outside power tools (which is where he seems to have started) and how he moved more to hand tools. I get the impression that power tools came to dominate in the USA a generation before they did in the UK and he no doubt started writing the book in an entirely American cultural context.

Schwarz's approach might have made sense ten or fifteen years ago, or maybe never. Exactly who is his audience? Likely an audience who never has had a desire to build throwaway furniture and never will. I don't see much throwaway furniture from the early days (really any era for that matter) of Fine Woodworking, American Woodworker, or any of the other major publications from this side of the pond. How 'bout your side? Surely people who would own a copy of The Anarchist never had an intention to tool up (hand or power or both) in order to build junk did they? I simply don't get it, do people really need reassurance that it's ok to build a nice piece of furniture and gain enjoyment from doing so? Fine Woodworking built its brand on the backs of woodworkers who almost to a man had a very blended operation (and a pretty pedestrian lineup of power equipment) with plenty of hand tool work a feature of all their projects (Tage Frid, et al.)

He's preaching to the choir it seems to me, or railing against third-rate sources the majority of which people don't pay attention to in the first place. If any magazine has a bit of specious history with regard to the quality of its projects over the years it's Popular Woodworking. Maybe it's all just an exercise in crapping in one's own nest, a savior complex, or something else. Somebody should also remind Schwarz **newsflash** that Norm Abrams retired three or four years ago and his show is no longer on television.

With regard to the 'machine issue' Schwarz may say you don't need a whole lot of power equipment to do good work (of course you don't, this isn't new news) yet he has all of it and more. And what he didn't, or doesn't, personally own he had access to for years in Popular Woodworking's shop, along with lumber store, supplies, and assorted accoutrement.

It's all just a tarted-up, quasi-polemical repackaging of material covered decades ago in the woodworking classics and better magazines, and proof that squeal sells.

Andy, thanks for the extra explanation of the title.
I just wanted to make the point that I found the title intelligible, but I had missed the point about reducing avoidable consumption, so thanks for that.

It would be nice to see some more comments from members who have read the book.

There's more to the use of the word "Anarchist" in the title than a wish to be eye-catching. In the book he makes it quite clear that he's not referring to what we in the UK and Europe usually understand by the term i.e. an extremely radical political movement. He uses it to refer to an attempt to break the cycle of consume, throw away and consume again, something which is pushed by big business: sell something which is barely fit for purpose, in the knowledge that it will break down/fall apart after a while and then sell the replacement. In his view, to make furniture or to use tools which will last for a century or more is to break the cycle of endless consumption.

All the more reason to object to the title! Why not called it "The Sustainable Tool Chest", "The Anti-Consumerist's Tool Chest" or "The Anti-Capitalist's Tool Chest" if that's what he really means, instead of misusing a word just to grab attention.

Latest posts

Back