That screeching sound can't be good...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wabbitpoo

Established Member
Reaction score
Was merrily turning today when all of a sudden the motor let rip. Nearly deafened me.

Opened her up and found this had happened

One half of the pulley nearly in bits had flown off its spindle. Glad it hadn't made it through the metal case of the lathe. That put an end to my hobby for a while.

I have emailed Axminster to see if they carry spares for the Perform CCL (yellow peril) that I bought from them a few years ago. We may find that a new lathe might be the only answer (here's hoping!)

But what to buy..... :shock:

Thinking of a new one? Don't forget to check the household insurance. A few years back I had a very old Elu 96 router start smoking and sparking whilst in my hands. It then made a very strange noise. At the thought on an impending fire due to the collection of sawdust it was hurled out of the workshop door into the garden. A couple of nights later I checked my household policy. Accidental damage and new for old came in handy, and they supplied me with a nice new DeWalt, for the £50 x/s.

Colin

Interesting, though I don't see how they'd think it was accidental damage - just wear and tear I imagine.

Insurance companies are masters at getting out of paying.

I think you'll find that Axminster will be able to help you with the pulley set - they sorted out mine for a lathe much older than yours and were relatively cheap as well.

Yep - got an email back Sat morning with part number, phoned the sales desk, order on way to me as we speak. Good service. £20 for a pulley pack.

very sad news to hear of a death in the family! glad you got it sorted.

alas, my last contact with axminster has stiil not been replied to.
with all due credit the forum's axminster contact here, did reply to me, but as yet no reply form their technical side.

maybe i should buy a chuck from a rival company?.............

glad yours is sorted =D>

I have had great service from Axminster for my CCL lathe. The spares don't show up on their web site but a phone call soon sorts things out and I find their prices of spares are not bad. The last time I changed the pulleys, I changed the bearings too because the pulleys are very difficult to get off in one piece.

That's interesting (if too late!) as the new pulley kit came today! Thanks for the info all.

Back