That free timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of that stuff doesn't look to be decent quality anyway, full of knots etc. Putting a veneer over it would be a very risky thing to do IMO...differential movement around the knots etc. It'll be totally waterlogged and the surface will be full of sand. As it's all softwood, I can't get overly excited about it...be different if it was something worth having though - Rob

woodbloke":2b9q72d3 said:
It'll be totally waterlogged and the surface will be full of sand. As it's all softwood, I can't get overly excited about it.

...and it belongs to someone else.

If it washed up on my local beach I think I might tend to view it as a nuisance and pollutant -not to mention all the thieving scummers it might attract rather than thinking I was lucky - just don't get that train of thought I'm afraid.

Cheers Mike

mr":3vct4k8y said:
woodbloke":3vct4k8y said:
It'll be totally waterlogged and the surface will be full of sand. As it's all softwood, I can't get overly excited about it.

...and it belongs to someone else.

If it washed up on my local beach I think I might tend to view it as a nuisance and pollutant -not to mention all the thieving scummers it might attract rather than thinking I was lucky - just don't get that train of thought I'm afraid.

Cheers Mike

So the owners are not going to pick it up. Highly unlikely.

The council pick it up , it goes to landfill? or they sell it and someone makes a nice killing. Or the locals pick it up and use it .

Which are you choosing?

devonwoody":ifnzd4x8 said:
So the owners are not going to pick it up.

They are - the owners of the vessel (or more likely their insurers) are paying for the contractors to pick it up.

The council pick it up , it goes to landfill?

Sounds like they are planning to sell it for pulping for paper/mdf etc, to mitigate their losses.

Looking at the scale of the clean up - the entire south coast - it's going to cost more than it's worth to get the beaches clear.

So, all up, there's a net loss to the insurers, because they will pick up the clearance and salvers’ legal costs too, not the mention all the local authorities’ costs.

It’s conceivable that it could go for bio-mass pellets, - probably worth more that way than pulp and it will need to be done locally to maximise value.

Argus":2gimumea said:

Looking at the scale of the clean up - the entire south coast - it's going to cost more than it's worth to get the beaches clear.

So, all up, there's a net loss to the insurers, because they will pick up the clearance and salvers’ legal costs too, not the mention all the local authorities’ costs.

Sounds like it makes sense, but if the clear up is at a net cost to the insurers, you would expect them not to have insisted on the Receiver enforcing their right to the wood, because every bit taken away by someone else would reduce their total costs.

Hi I live in worthing and the beaches are fenced off so you cant pick it up, they are just using a jcb and putting it into tipper lorries, dont know where its going to though

Latest posts

Back