Texture and colour

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewart

Established Member
Reaction score
Being drawn into the world of texturing and colouring after borrowing a proxxon lhw from one of my clubs...current work in progress. ..
b89dfb381e99f9cf8c05b0a9afcc19a8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Looks like you're becoming a fan with a vengeance, may your efforts flower.

Thanks, Chas - it's becoming a bit obsessional! Any budding texturists or colourists out there, give it a try!

Did a bit more work on it today...
9b867b8c6d119d01aec6738da36b7e3e.jpg
0da25d757aaf416cab4339f763f83282.jpg

And here's a peacock coloured one.....yep I made a hole in the bottom....temporary fix but not very happy with it...
ae9c02d592a60faeaff6593dc082704f.jpg
a91914be58905d9b21c6d94e61d87562.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

The bottom fix dome looks fine and as though it belongs to me, first thoughts were that the rim could do with a bit of nibbling but on enlarging the image perhaps not.

Stewart - Those colours are exceptionally bright. What are you using?

I think the dome helps make the green piece & if you hadn't said it was an accidental design change, no one would have guessed.

These attempts were made using £1 shop Metalic Acrylic paints using the methods of David Lowe.
- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgdG-V ... MtA/videos

Finger Paint 1 - Copy (Medium).JPG

Finger Paint 2 - Copy.JPG

The wood was taken from the firewood pile, hence the cracks. They were purely practice pieces but they turned out better than I thought & in hindsite perhaps I should have had a bit more faith.

The square face bowl with round sides is not particularly difficult to turn, but does need some jig making ability. As it was a practice piece I decided I had nothing to lose in trying out some pyrography with the machine I bought from a member of this forum.

Attachments

• Finger Paint 1 - Copy (Medium).JPG
    Finger Paint 1 - Copy (Medium).JPG
    155.5 KB · Views: 1,415
  • Finger Paint 2 - Copy.JPG
    Finger Paint 2 - Copy.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 1,415
Hi Robbo
I used Chestnut spirit stains - quite a few coats applied with an airbrush. They then have several coats of acrylic lacquer. I started with a sample packet of the colours but have now got some bigger bottles of separate colours - best price I found was at Axminster.

beganasatree":2mcb27h9 said:
Could someone please tell me how to open the images in Stewart's post ???I can see the photos in Robbo's but not in Stewart's.

Peter.

They should open in your browser, what browser are you using?

Typical url is
Code:
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170228/0da25d757aaf416cab4339f763f83282.jpg

Very brave indeed Stewart the top one is not really to my liking but at least you are having a go. The green one I like the design but I hope you don't mind me saying but the radiating lines are fine down the bottom of the first picture as the all look like they radiate from the centre point but as you have progressed around they start to lean away which in turn leaves gaps as you can see top left of the bowl. Try to have the tool rest so that you use it to rest the carving tool on it and sue it as a guide.
Keep on playing and enjoy it

Cheers, Derek - accuracy and neatness certainly could be improved - it was all done freehand, so I'll have a go with the using the toolrest next time.

Back