• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Tenon theory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I am building a small lap harp. The pillar and neck are hawthorn the sound box black poplar. I am not a joiner I am cutting mortice and tenons, 3 of, forming a triangle, no glue, held together by the string tension of about 300lb, there will be a twisting force as the strings on the neck are offset by a half inch from the centreline. What are the correct proportions of a tenon? I think I read there is no hard and fast rule but the cheeks and tenon should feel 'balanced', sort of 1/2 for the tenon, 1/4 for each cheek?

Sandyn

Established Member
Reaction score
There was a thread on here have a look while you wait for some replies. Hopefully it will be interesting.

Doug B

Shy Tot
Reaction score
I am building a small lap harp. The pillar and neck are hawthorn the sound box black poplar. I am not a joiner I am cutting mortice and tenons, 3 of, forming a triangle, no glue, held together by the string tension of about 300lb, there will be a twisting force as the strings on the neck are offset by a half inch from the centreline. What are the correct proportions of a tenon? I think I read there is no hard and fast rule but the cheeks and tenon should feel 'balanced', sort of 1/2 for the tenon, 1/4 for each cheek?
Please post up some photos of the build it sounds very interesting.

TheTiddles

Established Member
Reaction score
Thirds is the usual “rule” and it’s not a bad one.

I can’t think of why your configuration would drive anything different, there will be some torsion on the joint, mostly compression drawing the shoulders together (presuming you’re doing it that way as the alternative will be to shear off the tennon which probably won’t happen, but you’d ideally not rely on just that to take the load as it’s inherently less large than the shoulder faying surfaces)

Aidan

Jacob

Pint of bass, porkpie, and packet of crisps please
Reaction score
Good idea to look at a measured drawing of a harp or two?

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
It would, but harps are not often made like this anymore and I haven't found a drawing for this form of construction . Plenty of exterior drawings, none of the joints, although, I do have the papers by Karen Loomis...forgot those, just a sec.

Yes, the joints are in compression

Last edited:

stuckinthemud

Established Member
Reaction score
I checked my files, and after your comments (thankyou TheTiddles) its clear the 14th century maker used thirds. Thank you Jacob for the reminder/nudge.
Screenshot_20201219-174209_Word.jpg

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
What are the correct proportions of a tenon? I think I read there is no hard and fast rule but the cheeks and tenon should feel 'balanced', sort of 1/2 for the tenon, 1/4 for each cheek?
Usually 1/3 - 1/3 - 1/3. With those dimensions there'd be a danger of a shoulder breaking out on small work.

Latest posts