Telescopic supports

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for something to support plasterboard while I fix it to the ceiling. I've come across these from Screwfix.

I'm not convinced how many extra hands I need to use these and wondered what they were like/how easy to use and/or if there were any better types around.

Many thanks

Roger

Bit of studwork with another shorter bit across the top to form a "T" works for me :D

Jason

jasonB":2ru4zlul said:
Bit of studwork with another shorter bit across the top to form a "T" works for me :D

Jason

:idea: SWMBO and a broom?

Seriously, I've never had much success with that method...either cutting it too short so you can't wedge it in place and it topples over or too long and the angle of wedge is too steep and there's insufficient friction to keep it up.

Guess I was kind of thinking along the lines of 'hold one end up with one end, release a sprung loaded ratchet or something then the support shoots up and locks in position. Repeat other side'.

davejester":7yd8k86n said:
If this is a house near Malvern I'd be happy to help out.
You have seen the pictures of Rogers new toys and just want to play, :wink: shame Sudbury is so far away. :x :roll:

DaveL":1k4iwe72 said:
davejester":1k4iwe72 said:
You have seen the pictures of Rogers new toys and just want to play, :wink: shame Sudbury is so far away. :x :roll:

Ha ha...Dave would need to be a gymnast. The workshop is stuffed full of flat contents, new kitchen carcasses, kitchen sink (literally), wood, etc. Nothing functional or getattable at the moment apart from the baby bandsaw...but then I have to limbo underneath the fence guide rail of the table saw. :cry:

Roger if you are screwing the boards and don't have a dedicated drywall screwgun then worth investing in a pack of these. They will drive the screw just below the surface without tearing the paper. Use it in a cordless with a magnetic holder, saves faffing about with torque settings. SF also sell them.

And did you tell Dave that you have got 50 sheets of plasterboard being delivered :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jason

Roger Sinden":3ogjaj4h said:
DaveL":3ogjaj4h said:
davejester":3ogjaj4h said:

Ha ha...Dave would need to be a gymnast. The workshop is stuffed full of flat contents, new kitchen carcasses, kitchen sink (literally), wood, etc. Nothing functional or getattable at the moment apart from the baby bandsaw...but then I have to limbo underneath the fence guide rail of the table saw. :cry:

Roger have you had another pm from davejester with bad news? :wink:

Thanks guys.

Jason...that's a nifty gadget..must get one of those.

Majorlarf...interesting ...if only I could work out how to use them :oops: At £20 a throw they can't be permanent (at least I'd hope not)..

Stairman....that would be ideal for a complete room...looks perfect for that .well worth filing for the future

but OLD? You've hit the nail on the head. I like these a lot :D

30cm strips of 12mm ply a few inches longer than ceiling height work a treat. Bend them into place, and it is actually quite easy to get one end propped up and adjusted in the right place and then add another for the other end. The advantage over telescopic thingies, etc, is that you only need one hand for adjusting your prop.

That was with the 6 x 3 boards...

roger,our old friends lidl have been doing the clutch type ones
at various times over the last couple of years.

bought a couple, myself, they are just like one handed clamps.
don't know when they are likely to have them in again though,
might be worth checking.

paul :wink:

Latest posts

Back