Telecaster guitar project in cherry, mahogany and rosewood

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david simper

Established Member
Reaction score
This has been a stressful project, which has nearly had the axe through it a couple of times. However, as you will see, it has been well received by its recipient and seems to play ok, after a little ruthless fret grinding.

As I now have the tools and experience, more instruments will follow; indeed the next is already on the bench:

Here's the link to my Flickr page for the WIP and completed pics:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stanley_cl ... 66/detail/

There are 81 pics, which is a lot but I think that they hang together ok.

I hope that you all enjoy this post. :)

Dave,

A good looking project, thanks for posting the write up, you have a nice selection of hand tools. 8)

Thanks, Dave, it's very nice to be able to see your work. :) I'm also intrigued to see that you're using an oil finish from Colron - I've just been 'playing' with one of their wood dyes on some oak... It doesn't dry as quickly as some of the spirit stains I've used but, the finish and pure ease of application is to be highly commended! :wink:

Nice Tele, not seen one done in English Cherry before. You done many guitars before?

Surprised you went for so much hand routing and chiselling when you had an electric router to hand, any particular reason?

Thanks for the very positive comments. Here's a few answers to questions raised.

No, this is my first guitar. I've posted on another site where my blog is and have promptly received an offer to make a six string bass, which is a bit daunting I must say.

Having used the Coloron and Rustin products I must say that I prefer the latter - easier to use, dries better, superior finish. That tin of Coloron was on offer.

I'm a bit of a galoot and really don't like routers very much, although as can be seen from the photos, I do use them and they are certainly handy. There is a time saving in not having to make up so many jigs and I feel that I have more control with hand tools and just enjoy using them (apart from the constant sharpening).

On routing, I routed out the pick up and control cavities and, despite checking and re-checking the cut depth, managed to make them 2mm too deep. I still can't figure this out; would anyone have any idea how I've managed this?

All the best. :)

david simper":o80as1kv said:
I'm a bit of a galoot and really don't like routers very much, although as can be seen from the photos, I do use them and they are certainly handy. There is a time saving in not having to make up so many jigs and I feel that I have more control with hand tools and just enjoy using them (apart from the constant sharpening).

Hi Dave,

I enjoyed that album, the routing by hand was really interesting.

Ive also got a phobia of power routers, mine seems to be able to wreck my projects just a little too quickly. Now I might have to look into getting a router plane!

Cheers,
Mike

Back