technology problem number two

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave

Apple are very canny with their pricing and stock levels of a product as it comes up for a new model. So don't expect to buy any iPad 4's at rock bottom prices once the newer version comes out. If you think you will go for the iPad 4 then go to their refurb store as that is where any bargains will be. The only other possible source of lower cost iPad 4's will be people like Argos if, for example, they have a lot of spare stock on their hands.

Fishandchips":3m2s16cu said:
I would get an iPad but wait a couple of weeks as it looks like a the new iPad 5 is about to emerge and the prices of the iPad 4 will fall for sure.

I got my iPad2 over a year ago and the price is the same today as it was then.

benjimano":3chj2qj2 said:
Fishandchips":3chj2qj2 said:
I would get an iPad but wait a couple of weeks as it looks like a the new iPad 5 is about to emerge and the prices of the iPad 4 will fall for sure.

I got my iPad2 over a year ago and the price is the same today as it was then.
But it was less than when it was the top of the line model.

If apple keeps selling a previous model after they introduce a new one, at that point they lower the price but that is usually the only time. This excludes the refurb section of the store.

You can currently get a refurb 3th gen 64gig G3 iPad for £160 less than the same model th 4gen so as Dave said that is the best place to get a lower cost iPad. It is quite likely that when the new models come out you will find 4th gen refurbs in the apple store.

Interesting follow-up:

I commented to the DC last night that I now knew why she got lost navigating on I70:

"You were using the map on your iPad." says I.
"Yes," she says.
"But it doesn't have GPS! How did you know where you were?"
"I'd downloaded the map when we stopped for lunch. I thought you knew that"
"But..."

(homer) Silly me!

How I was supposed to look over my shoulder into the middle of the car onto her lap, whilst driving, to see she was using the wrong device, wrongly, escapes me. But I must've been in the wrong. I always am.

Morals arising: 1. Don't ask the DC to navigate, unless you can see what she's actually doing. 2. IPads are useless for the purpose unless you're actually sitting in a cafe with WiFi. 3. If in any doubt, LEARN THE ROUTE before setting off and nod sagely whenever you're given any directions. 4. If in the USA (and you choose to ignore (3.)), make sure your RIGHT shoulder is well padded, as inevitably someone will thump it hard while you're driving. Likewise, an earplug in your RIGHT ear may well prevent permanent hearing damage. If in the UK, substitute LEFT for RIGHT.

RogerS":2vyxs1wh said:
Dave

Apple are very canny with their pricing and stock levels of a product as it comes up for a new model. So don't expect to buy any iPad 4's at rock bottom prices once the newer version comes out. If you think you will go for the iPad 4 then go to their refurb store as that is where any bargains will be. The only other possible source of lower cost iPad 4's will be people like Argos if, for example, they have a lot of spare stock on their hands.

Thanks Roger Peter has just sent the link to me, the website is being updated at the moment so I will look later.
Good tip about Argos.

I'll play devils advocate here and suggest the Microsoft surface RT which although it doesn't run real windows software comes with Office 365 installed. In the real world you will be using MS office for business and the surface will have many advantages over the Ipad including expandable storage and a USB port. The touch type cover is a brilliant bit of kit too. I personally use the Surface Pro for work which is superb, the only let down being the shorter battery life.

Gerry

The Surface Pro is nice. I had a look at one a few weeks ago.

The trouble is that it isn't cheap, and for the money I'd far rather have a Macbook (can also run Office365, IIRC). The Surface isn't much lighter in weight, although it is smaller. The trouble with leased software, too, is the ongoing cost.

I wouldn't touch the Surface RT, as the cupboard (well, the app store) is pretty bare, and commentators are already suggesting it's a blind alley. The Surface RT and the Surface Pro are very different animals.

Eric The Viking":1jlzs3pd said:

I wouldn't touch the Surface RT, as the cupboard (well, the app store) is pretty bare, and commentators are already suggesting it's a blind alley. .....

Do I detect a 'Betamax Moment' ? :D

Personally, I hate Apple with a passion. My work phone is an iPhone 4S and it's the worst phone I've ever had. So difficult to navigate and I'm having to charge it every day. My own Xperia M battery lasts three or four days between charges and it gets heavier usage than the work phone.

About the only plus point on the work phone is the TomTom app (handy when the built-in van sat nav broke). However, as with anything else Apple it has a major downside - you can't switch the bloody app off again once you've started it.

MMUK":22u5vx3v said:
Personally, I hate Apple with a passion. My work phone is an iPhone 4S and it's the worst phone I've ever had. So difficult to navigate and I'm having to charge it every day. My own Xperia M battery lasts three or four days between charges and it gets heavier usage than the work phone.

About the only plus point on the work phone is the TomTom app (handy when the built-in van sat nav broke). However, as with anything else Apple it has a major downside - you can't switch the bloody app off again once you've started it.

I don't like iPhones either.

For what it's worth, my Samsung S3mini is about as much use as a chocolate teapot most of the time too. I don't think I've ever come across another deliberate piece of industrial design that's as bad. I keep using it because of the extra functionality over a phone with real buttons (don't get me started on Blackberry - I mean something smaller), such as being a WiFi hotspot. For it's intended main purpose - making voice calls, it's an ergonomic disaster.

But Apple's laptops are rather nice. The latest has a solid state 'disk drive', huge battery life, a nice screen, keyboard, etc., a tough metal hide and interconnections with the real world. It's just eye-stretchingly expensive.

If I could afford one, I probably would. But even then, my Android tablet has advantages. It's more flexible, apps are far cheaper, it's even more portable, etc.

It's one of those times in technology development when it's really hard to predict how things will go, despite the pundits:

Daughter #1 has just got a 7" iPad mini, with a keyboard/case that clips over it. She loves it for note taking in lectures.

I use an Apple Bluetooth keyboard with my tablet (and with my 'phone!), and that does just fine. I like the full-size keys, and wouldn't want a smaller display, as the Samsung has the ability to run most apps in windows, which is handy for things like debugging code and switching quickly. So I have a 'laptop' if I really need it, and a tablet if I don't.

E.

surprised no one has mentioned the sony xperia z tablet, i have one and it`s bullet proof, (not quite) but it is dust & water proof with an actual ip rating (water resistant up to 1 meter). you could connect an external keyboard to the tablet for the longer letters you would need to write. i have the free kingsoft office downloaded on mine which gives a word & spreadsheed & presentation programs (microsoft office compatible too)

sparkymarky":2mwko78v said:
surprised no one has mentioned the sony xperia z tablet, i have one and it`s bullet proof, (not quite) but it is dust & water proof with an actual ip rating (water resistant up to 1 meter). you could connect an external keyboard to the tablet for the longer letters you would need to write. i have the free kingsoft office downloaded on mine which gives a word & spreadsheed & presentation programs (microsoft office compatible too)
Thanks for that. I've been impressed with their phones (my son has one). I'll look out for it.
E.

Back