technology problem number two

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

david123

Established Member
Reaction score
Some weeks ago I asked about mobile phones, and we were delighted in the response and ended up buying a couple of 4S iphones on the advice given, and are very happy with them.

We now need advice on Notepads, Tablets, netbooks, and ipads (and/or, some that I have never heard of out there). The truth is that we are not sure what the difference is between all of them all. I also know that there has been a lot of discussion about this but I am still confused.

We both have laptops that are getting a bit old in the tooth and want to move on to something that is more portable, but is able to have a spreadsheet (app?) and a word possessor, Also we would like to be able to do banking on line securely. Security is an issue and we would like to be as secure as possible (Apple Mac??).

And to think I used to work with cypher many years ago #-o

You need to define your price range first. Then decide what size screen you need ? Do you need a proper moveable keyboard or will a touch screen do ? Tablets (including iPads) don't have movable keyboards, netbooks do. Spradsheet and word processor ? I think a keyboard and mouse will be very very useful if not essential which IMO rules out tablets. I use a laptop for those applications and leave it in my office. For entertainment I use a 7" tablet.

As for security, to be secure as possible don't put any device on any network. If you have to though, use a trusted network such as your own when doing banking etc. Macs, Linux, Android, Windows are all secure if you are careful, some are attacked less than others but you can minimise the chances of being a victim whatever your OS.

David, your choice has been made for you!

You have your iPhone....get a Mac laptop...seamlessly integrates the two .. Entering a new contact into your iPhone? Voila...there it is already on your laptop. Automatic backups via iCloud....bullet-proof....you don't need to worry about viruses, trojans and the like. Macs just work. Try the Apple refurbished store....sometimes you can get good reductions there especially when they are about to bring out a newer model.

Another nice thing about the latest OS on the Mac....it keeps a virgin version of the OS in a hidden partition. You have a problem (unlikely) with the OS you are running and you can simply ask the Mac to rebuild itself back to normal while you go and have a cup of coffee.

http://www.apple.com/uk/why-mac/better-software/

Worth getting iWorks for your word processing and spreadsheet needs.

Don;t for God sake download and use any of the rubbish 'security' software such as Rapport that the banks try and force on you. They mess about with the OS something rotten, make the computer run like treacle on a winter's day and are totally unnecessary. Your biggest risk is falling foul of phishing scams but that is social engineering...ie relies on the wetware between one's ears to suspend all critical rationality and enter one's account details into a scamming website.

Thanks for the quick replies guy's.
We wanted to move away from laptops as we spend a lot of time on the move, either touring in the caravan or visiting friends abroad. The separate keyboard is not essential, but a spread sheet and a word processor is a must. screen size, say 9 to 11 inches would be good and price wise up to about £400. and once again simplicity would be good.

Then I recommend an iPad. You can get a free spreadsheet....for example this one https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/free-sp ... 20229?mt=8 and I'm sure that there are free wordprocessors. I would recommend that you have a play with one in an Apple store or PC World etc first as I find typing using the touch tablet a tad onerous. Same comments re the refurb store apply. The iPad should play nicely with your iPhone.

I think I gave advise on the phone post and advised to get an iPhone......

That was before apple released ios7.

I have an ipad and up until the ios7 update it was, in my eyes, the best device I've ever owned.
Butter smooth and it 'just worked'.

Now there is not a day that goes by that I don't want to throw it at the wall and they only reason I don't is because it cost so bloody much money.

Breathe.....

Having said that, there are plenty of really good android tablets out there and a lot of the cheap ones (sub £200) have pretty good specs.

Providing it has what I call 'the basics' ie
Capacitive touch (ideally multi touch),
Full google Play store,
3mp + camera,
Dual core processor (or at very minimum, 1.5ghz single core),
Micro sd card slot (particularly if it has small onboard storage)

There are a multitude of barebones operating systems out there that can make even the cheapest tablet run better.
(cyanogenmod being one of them)

I know that it contradicts my previous advise but if apple hadn't fudged up ios7, I would have said an ipad.

I hope this helps.

david123":1d9phhdj said:
Thanks for the quick replies guy's.
We wanted to move away from laptops as we spend a lot of time on the move, either touring in the caravan or visiting friends abroad. The separate keyboard is not essential, but a spread sheet and a word processor is a must. screen size, say 9 to 11 inches would be good and price wise up to about £400. and once again simplicity would be good.
I have mostly moved away From my laptop for the same reason as you. I now almos always use my iPad. It has a spread sheet I use every working day for class attendance and student grading. It has a number of word processors that I don't often use as I don't do that much writing, my students do that, it has a presentation program that I use in teaching my presentation classes.

And though I paid for all of those they will probably be free with the iPad, Numbers, Pages, and Keynote. The documents back up onto iCloud and can be accessed from any computer with an internet connection. And almost all app you get will work on the iPad and iPhone with out buying them twice. In fact if you share an Apple ID with your wife you can buy once and use them on both your iPads and iPhones.

Just one point the iPad will probably be updated this month so buying now is not the best idea. If you wat a week or two you can either get the latest version or save a bit of money on the current iPad 4.

I have the 4g version, not for the internet access as I'm mostly on Wi-Fi but for the GPS chip.

Please ask if there is more information you would like.

I write on this subject for work. Here's a quick brain-dump:

If your wants are simple and straightforward, an iPad will do just fine. If you want something that can replace a PC, or you want a lot of storage, or to do complex, geeky things, an Android tablet is a better alternative. I'd recommend getting a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (has a stylus) or a Tab 10.1 (hasn't) - both have slots for the tiny but huge-inside MicroSD storage cards. 64GB MicroSD is currently about £35 from the net.

If you've an iPhone, you shouldn't need a tablet with 3G/4G capability as you can use your phone as a 'WiFi hotspot' - this saves about £150 per device (your mileage may vary). Anything should connect to it (iPad or Android), and use it as if you're on your home WiFi. Obviously if your network data charges are high this won'tr be cheap, but it won't be better if you connect straight from a tablet.

The key constraint about an iPad is that it won't let you see the file structure inside (folders/directories, etc.). That's not necessarily a problem, but if you want to work on files as files, it can be pretty annoying. You can also use a mouse easily with an Android tablet. Both will allow an external keyboard - in fact I use our Apple one with both brands.

Don't go for a cheap Android thing - often there's poor integration between Android and the hardware - the hassle isn't worth what you will save. Do buy a soft case for it - if you go Apple, the magnetic flip over thing they sell is rubbish - I've got a Belkin one for the Galaxy 10.1 and something similar else from John Lewis for the iPad. Very much down to personal choice, but make sure the corners, edges and screen are reasonably safe from sharp objects and the shock of being dropped or put down on concrete in a thin bag.

John Lewis has keen pricing and offer a year's longer warranty than Apple Stores. Apple will set up the device in-store, but that's hardly necessary, and I'd rather ahve the warranty (I've needed it in the past on Apple products!).

It's also worth checking your household insurance policy for cover when out and about.

IPads will display Excel spreadsheets, but can't alter them without paid-for apps. Samsung tablets come with Polaris suite installed - a bit basic but it lets you make and change data in spreadsheets, make Word and Powerpoint documents too. For more detailed control you can get Open Office now for Android - it's a big and slower package, but works like the desktop older versions of MS Office (no "ribbon" ! ). Open Office is also free (there's a pop-up ad on startup but you can ignore it).

The iPad's screen is nominally better, but I don't notice a huge difference in practice - few things have enough detail to make the difference important. Regarding keeping them in-sync, say with files on your PC or contact lists on your 'phone that's as easy using Android as it is with iPads - you should be able to pass data iPhone to Android too, and in reverse.

I suggest a trip to John Lewis, ideally on a Tuesday morning when it's quietest. Tell the staff there (they sell both Apple and Samsung stuff) what you'd like to be able to do, and have a look at what's available.

I've just taken my Android tablet on a 2000 mile road trip in the USA (southern Utah and Colorado). It's the first time in more than 20 years (and 20+ trips) I haven't taken a laptop over there. It did brilliantly. I think Google's maps application is marginally better than Apple's (we didn't buy any road maps - didn't need to as we downloaded them in cafes, etc. and saved them for use later).

It's a very personal thing, your mobile computing. As I said, if you want it VERY simple, and don't mind having to do it one particular way, iPads really are good - design and in use, but if you want more flexibility: Android (or hack your iPad).

Regards,

E.

Eric The Viking":3c315vec said:
I

If your wants are simple and straightforward, an iPad will do just fine. If you want something that can replace a PC,

If you've an iPhone, you shouldn't need a tablet with 3G/4G capability as you can use your phone as a 'WiFi hotspot' -

- if you go Apple, the magnetic flip over thing they sell is rubbish - I've got a Belkin one for the Galaxy 10.1 and something similar else from John Lewis for the iPad. Very much down to personal choice, but make sure the corners, edges and screen are reasonably safe from sharp objects and the shock of being dropped or put down on concrete in a thin bag.

IPads will display Excel spreadsheets, but can't alter them without paid-for apps.
E.
A few points for most thing I do, and for all mobile and teaching my iPad has replaced my laptop.

There are a few things I do like scanning that is better on a PC .

The benefit of 3G/4G capability depends on if you want to use the device as a GPS if you do then you need the 3G/4G capability for the GPS chip. If you've got a hardware GPS then wifi is good

I'm with you on the case

The iPad is probably going to get the same deal as the new iPhone when it's updated later this month and get numbers free which can alter excel spreadsheets

Does it really need a IP network to do GPS ?. Or does it just speed up the satellite locating (by downloading the sky map based on your cell) ? It's a poor show if it can't position you without a data connection, not useful if you are lost somewhere where there is no phone signal.

sometimewoodworker":xgxkil5j said:
The benefit of 3G/4G capability depends on if you want to use the device as a GPS if you do then you need the 3G/4G capability for the GPS chip. If you've got a hardware GPS then wifi is good

That's +1 for Android then. My Galaxy note 10.1 has GPS, and it's perfect for a 'navigator' in the car.

Are you sure about that? I *thought* the iPad had the same (wife has iPad 3), as Madame refused to use the Android tablet and insisted on using her iPad's map when we were going across S. Utah on I 70 (no WiFi nor 3G for 30 miles in any direction). It certainly seems to work at home, but that might be from the Wifi network (Google has the MAC addresses of WiFi access points mapped to geo-locations).

Mind you, we did get lost on that occasion - resolved when I pulled over, grabbed my own tablet and found our location myself. It cost us a 100-mile detour, although we did see some nice countryside.

Ho hum...

I agree largely with what ETV says but do bear in mind that ETV is technically very competent!

As far as I can see the main difference in terms of 'flexibility' is that Android lets you see the file structure and transfer by filenames...if you really need to. But ask yourself the question...why/when would you want to do this ? All the Apple apps let you move stuff around...you just do it slightly differently. If you are a not-very-techy person then to me it is a no-brainer to keep everything in the same stable....ie iPad and iPhone. So so so many more advantages over struggling with potential incompatibilities between an Android device and an iPhone.

I'll tell you where I'm at if it helps. Desktop is an iMac. So does the wife. I use a Samsung Galaxy Ace android phone ...on contract and I couldn't justify the higher monthly contract price for an iPhone otherwise I would have gone down that route. I rarely connect or transfer anything from phone to the iMac or vice versa. To do it you use a piece of software called Kies from Samsung. Not written to Apple guidelines. When you upgrade Kies, it takes over TOTAL control of your Mac until it finishes. That is a HUGE no-no. One particular upgrade, Kies had a background task that filled up the console log to the point of making it useless. That is what I mean by problems connecting iStuff and Android.

RogerS":103u4ert said:
I agree largely with what ETV says but do bear in mind that ETV is technically very competent!

As far as I can see the main difference in terms of 'flexibility' is that Android lets you see the file structure and transfer by filenames...if you really need to. But ask yourself the question...why/when would you want to do this ?

I do it all the time. I have network storage on our home LAN, and it's much faster to link the tablet to that and collect/drop-off files as I need them. I'm not saying the iPad is worse or inferior - no tech snobbery here in either direction - but it is different, and frustrating if you need a file-structure model.

so many more advantages over struggling with potential incompatibilities between an Android device and an iPhone.

I think these are a Chimera, largely. Sync through a Google account, and the job's easy.

... To do it you use a piece of software called Kies from Samsung. Not written to Apple guidelines. When you upgrade Kies, it takes over TOTAL control of your Mac until it finishes. That is a HUGE no-no. One particular upgrade, Kies had a background task that filled up the console log to the point of making it useless. That is what I mean by problems connecting iStuff and Android.

Kies I've never used nor needed to. It's the equivalent to iTunes, and it's not written to Apple guidelines because it's not primarily for Apple (although if ported you'd like to think they'd make more of an effort!).

You really, REALLY don't need to use Kies:

[edit:] On your Android device[ /edit], get Total Commander from the Google Play store (equiv. of Apple Store), and its LAN and/or WebDAV plug-ins.

Set up a share on your desktop Mac to use Samba (an SMB or Windows Share, I think, in the jargon). Using the LAN plugin in Total Commander, find your Mac on the LAN and its SMB share, and away you go. Very easy interface and fast transfers. No need for Kies at all.

Total Commander is free. You only use built-in OSX stuff on the Apple desktop.

HTH,

E.

Brilliant

Thank you all.

We now have enough information to do some more research, but this time with a narrower search field. Thanks Eric for the alternative point of view, we will certainly look into that. We have a John Lewis store in Ipswich which isn't a million miles away. Great idea.

Eric The Viking":3n048sby said:
You really, REALLY don't need to use Kies:

[edit:] On your Android device[ /edit], get Total Commander from the Google Play store (equiv. of Apple Store), and its LAN and/or WebDAV plug-ins.

Set up a share on your desktop Mac to use Samba (an SMB or Windows Share, I think, in the jargon). Using the LAN plugin in Total Commander, find your Mac on the LAN and its SMB share, and away you go. Very easy interface and fast transfers. No need for Kies at all.

Total Commander is free. You only use built-in OSX stuff on the Apple desktop.

HTH,

E.

That really IS complicated and way beyond my meagre knowledge. As I said at the start, you are tech-savvy ...

I would get an iPad but wait a couple of weeks as it looks like a the new iPad 5 is about to emerge and the prices of the iPad 4 will fall for sure.

I tried the Linux based tablets and phones but have gone back to all apple. They just work.....

iPad - but wait a few weeks if you can as new devices are around the corner. I pretty much run my business on my iPad - accounts and invoicing, word processing, spreadsheets, email, messages and web stuff, all done on a 10" screen with a (typically) 15 hr 'real-world' battery life; that's on a soon-to-be 2 generations old iPad, btw.

ETVs raises some perfectly valid points but, with all respect, he is quite a 'techie' user, and few people IHMO need that level of granularity in a consumer tablet. And FWIW there are many apps in the App Store that allow a user to view and interact with the file structure of an iPad, should the need arise - Files, FileBrowser and GoodReader are a some I can personally recommend.

If you need to write your own apps and run them on your tablet, then an Android device is probably the best bet for you. But if your needs are more mainstream, then an iPad should be a simpler option, especially if you're already involved in Apple's eco-system.

HTH, Pete

edited for clarity

mseries":2tav1oye said:
Does it really need a IP network to do GPS ?. Or does it just speed up the satellite locating (by downloading the sky map based on your cell) ? It's a poor show if it can't position you without a data connection, not useful if you are lost somewhere where there is no phone signal.
Does it really need a IP network to do GPS? no it doesn't
it dosen't need any connection to do GPS but the WiFi iPad does not have the GPS chip the 3G/4G iPad contains the GPS chip

Great input, thank you

I have been doing a bit of research on the back of what you have all said. I will wait until the new ipad is out, see what happens to the ipad 4 price wise. I have also ordered a couple of books on the subject from the library.

Back